Why do people not tip there Uber/Lyft drivers?

Favorite Answer

No class.

I always tipped taxi drivers, unless they were rude or something. Uber drivers are like the same thing. Even if you just tip a buck, it's something.

If you want to charge more, as an independent contractor, feel free. Don't expect extra handouts for simply showing up and doing the job for which you were hired at an agreed price.

People are often not an intelligent bunch of folks

• Nuff Sed

I don't follow your logic. Intelligence leads to better knowledge, such as knowing the fact that all tips are optional and all tipped employees are making at least minimum wage.

Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.

Source(s): Dwight Schrute

some people simply dont have enough money, and save everywhere they possibly can so paying some even MORE for something you already paid them for just doesnt fit in with everyones financial statuses

• Erik

Hey, do whatever you want. Just don't think of yourself as not cheap, cause you are.

Tips are an 'extra' given for doing something more than service agreed and paid for. often originating from rich travellers whom had 'porters' carry bags etc for them. They added to this as a form of showing " I am rich" by tipping hairdressers and doormen whom called a cab ( horse drawn then) . The them being. the people whom paid for services could afford to show off wealth and 'asset' the poor lowly workers . Xmas bonus came about same way. today not many areas tip as unless employers pay very low wages . ( common in USA for example) for some jobs ,the lowly paid workers do not require the charity payments many now seem to expect as a right! USA waiters for example are expected to earn. a large part of wages from tips. which is why they are not keen of people form other countries such as Uk where tipping is an option not an 'expected ' or 'right'.

• Nuff Sed

Tips are always optional, by definition. Get over it, Erik. Who are you to judge whether someone should waste money tipping for service provided by someone else's employees?

Maybe it's because your driving or personality is as poor as your spelling. It's THEIR drivers, not there drivers. FAIL.

I was a truck driver for 45 years.

I delivered cargo all around Europe.

In those 45 years I got one tip of 10 punts after delivering a concrete press to Ireland.

Where does the idea of paying someone extra for doing the job they're paid for come from?

• Nuff Sed

It should only rarely happen. But many in the service industries in the USA have become fat and greedy to the extent they ignore the fact that ALL tips are optional, by definition, and might get huffy about a customer not holding the same philanthropic philosophy.

• Erik

they're cheap

• Nuff Sed

Not tipping is being "frugal" by not paying extra for something you already paid for. It's a choice. All tips are optional, by definition. Get over it.