Price of a Week long trip to New York City!?

My wife and I want to take a trip to New York with our 2 year old daughter. We want to know the price of the trip but have no idea what all to add into it. Of course the hotel and site seeing, but how much does it cost to visit each site(if it costs any at all.) also how expensive would food be in NY for a week? Which time of year is best? What activities are best other than just site seeing? Which part of the city should we get our hotel at? If you had to plan a trip to New York for a week and looked up everything you needed, minus travel expenses, how much would it cost? Thanks!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's an expensive place to visit, but there are ways to cut costs. Essentially you have 3 options: 1: Book a hotel in the city and use public transportation to get around. 2: Book a hotel outside of the 5 boroughs but in a place where getting into the city won't be difficult. 3: Book an accommodation on a site like Air BnB and have access to a kitchen and public transportation. With option 1, you're probably looking at somewhere around $250 to $350 per night. With option 2 you might be able to find something for around $150 per night. With option 3 you could negotiate for a cheaper rate per night depending on how far out you're willing to travel. But if you book into a place in Westchester County, Fairfield County, New Jersey or Long Island, transportation costs per day will be extortionate. And even if you were to rent a car and pay for parking and pair that with PATH, LIRR or MetroNorth, it would be expensive. There are no "cheap" options, and cheaper means more of a headache.

Option 1 would run you between $2,000 and $2,500 for the week for accommodation, between $700 and $1,000 for the week for meals, and probably $200 to $500 on transportation. So all in you're talking $3,000 before you start thinking about entry fees, souvenirs or miscellaneous.

With option 2 you could shave that down by $500, but you'd be spending hours on trains and buses every day, so in the end, because you've only got a week, it would really put a dent in your time.

With option 3 you could stay in an actual apartment and cook your own breakfasts and use buses and subways, but a two fare zone is almost as inconvenient as being in a commuter town, and some of those neighbourhoods are not very nice.

Drop the extra coin and stay in Midtown like all the other tourists do. You'll be in the thick of it all. Eat where locals eat, take advantage of the plethora of free stuff available in New York City, eschew cab rides for the subway and you'll be fine.

If you want cheap, go to Erie, PA. If you want to spend a week in New York City, it's going to cost you. It's that simple.

• 5 months ago

Hotels are expensive. Stay outside city like somebody suggested for that. Other stuff is not that bad, food wise, etc, because so many different places to eat at various prices, including street vendors. So much to see and hear and experience without doing all the ‘tourist-y’ stuff like Statue of Liberty, etc. which real New Yorkers never do, actually. Up to you. But head down to Times Square, etc, soak in all the street life. Get one of those really good Asian street artists to sketch your child. Great souvenir. Just hang out. It’s a richer experience than watching a Broadway play or a musical because it’s real life and Manhattan is just an amazing place. Go to Central Park, listen to the street musicians, rent a rowboat, row on the lake. So much to do you can walk all over the place and you really don’t even have to spend that much $. You can just enjoy the cheaper but good food and sights and the sounds and street life. Awesome place.

• 5 months ago

Frankly, as you have NO idea what you're doing, you really need to see a professional travel agent, as you have way, way too many things that you have no clue about.

Go look at some Tourism NYC sites and see what sites you want to visit, and see what they would cost. Food can be as little as $10 a day, if you eat mostly fast food, and you can blow $250 on a top end meal if that's what you want.

Hotels in midtown are expensive. You can stay farther out, Brooklyn, NJ, and commute in on the Subway or PATH train lines.

You need to do a LOT of your own homework. You're not remotely ready to travel.

• 5 months ago

Waaaaaaay too many variables to even remotely begin to give you a guesstimate cost.

You need to get a guidebook and do a little research.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

White sites are you looking to visit?

The cost depends on so many factors, including when (holiday periods are more expensive), where (5* hotels are obviously expensive; you might get a great bargain on hotels or AirBNB), and what (it's free to walk around Central Park; other sites are pricey)

Do some research onto what you actually want to see / do

• DON W
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You're probably looking at about $2,300 for the week, based on spending about $220 a night for the hotel (that's about the cheapest rate at most hotels), some basic meals, and about $50 a day for entertainment. It doesn't include getting to the city. Remember that virtually no Manhattan hotel has free parking, so if you drive you'll probably pay about $50 a day for a spot in the hotel garage.

• DON W
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

I generally agree, but a lot of people like to arrive in their car, and then park it for the duration of their stay.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I can't remember much of anything from when I was 2 years old. When I was about 4, my parents took me to the circus and to a Broadway play. I have only sketchy memories of those. When I was a 1st time parent, I thought to load up my son's little brain with experiences in the city. He remembers practically nothing. Save your money until your daughter can absorb what's going on.

• 5 months ago

You will get the best advice by going to the New York forum at TripAdvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-Ne...

• Lili
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Fall is the best season for a visit.

As for cost, that's going to vary wildly. We don't know what you want to visit, what kind of food you'd want to eat, what sort of accommodations you have in mind.

And to be frank, I'm not convinced that visiting New York with a 2-year-old in tow is the greatest idea. It's not the most toddler-friendly destination, whereas an older child could have a great time. For example, I'd recommend going to the theater -- that's one of the best things to do in New York -- but a toddler is not going to get much out of that or from museum visits or even a visit to the Statue of Liberty or the top of the Empire State Building. There are a couple of zoos, but there are zoos in lots of places. On a visit to New York, you'd want to do things you couldn't do elsewhere.

Save the New York trip for a time when your child is older.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

That depends entirely on where you stay, where you eat, and what you go and see while you're there.

It's one thing to stay at a 2-star hotel and eat fast food vs. a 4+ star hotel and fine dining establishments...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.