is a cutting board worth the money or can you just use parchment paper to cut your vegetables and meat?

Best Answer

A good cutting board is worth the investment. You will have to decide whether to buy a wooden or a plastic cutting board.

It's worth it i love my cutting board im always cutting up apples and spinach with it or whatever else i need and ive had it for a long time and its still good so yeah its worth it.

• Clive

You NEED a board or you will ruin the table or counter you're cutting on. That ought to be obvious when you look at the knife cuts the board will have in it after it's been used for a while.

• GEEGEE

It's a good idea to use a cutting board, or some solid surface like a plate or tray, to protect the counter top. Parchment paper would not protect the counter from potential damage from the knife.

The cutting board isn't for the veggies and meat, it's for the counter or whatever is below the item being cut. The board keeps you from destroying counter tops. I have half a dozen of small boards from the dollar store to protect the counters.

I would recommend buying a cutting board but not from the thrift store, get a new one.

You need a cutting board, parchment paper will not do

A cutting board protects the surface beneath such as a table or counter top. Parchment paper will not do that.

If like most cooks in this country your knives are a little sharper than butter knives, you might get away with parchment paper but it would be more expensive and eventually damage your countertop. One word of advice. don't buy a cutting "board." By that I mean a board made of wood. Wood is porous and absorbs juices and bacteria from the various foods you cut on them. There's a material called HDPE (high density polyethylene) which has a wax-like feel and is impervious to liquids and bacteria. It is also much kinder to knife edges and can easily be sterilized with a little household bleach. I say it's cheaper because you replace the paper after each use and this type of cutting board will last a lifetime. When mine gets deeply scored from all the cutting I do, I just take it into my shop and use a power sander to resurface the entire board. it then looks like new. You can get them made to order on the net and I have two, one for working dough and pastry and the other for cutting. I had them made to fit my counter top. Of course you can buy them ready-made in lots of stores that sell kitchen stuff.

• bubba

cutting boards are cheep

Even a bad knife will cut through the parchment paper and down into whatever surface you're trying to protect. It's also expensive. A good cutting board will last decades if properly cared for.