Juan asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 months ago

Why do people have an exaggerated fear of insects. Most are harmless to humans?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Best Answer

Part of this is learned behavior. When a child sees mom freak out about a bee, they learn that bees are something to freak out about.

At the same time, insects sting and bite. They cause allergic reactions and spread disease not just in humans but in pets too. Anaphylaxis, West Nile and lyme disease are no joke.

Plus, some of them are just gross. Ever seen a cat with cuterebra (bot fly) poking out of it's skin? See if you feel like sharing your pillow with the cat and giving her a little kiss after that!

And one last thought about this is that most of us were raised to think that it's not ok for someone to touch us without our permission. No one likes to be poked, prodded, bit, bothered, etc. Bugs do not respect our space bubbles. They just fly/jump/crawl right in and do their thing.

• 5 months ago

Anything that can sting or bite causes fear.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

more like disgusted...

• 5 months ago

They're creepy and disgusting.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Because they're so different from us. We can feel an affinity toward most other animal life--there's usually something there we can identify with. But insects are almost alien to us. So it's this, combined with their tiny size that allows them to easily invade our personal space.

• 5 months ago

It's a programmed instinctual response.

Some insects and arachnids can bite to cause immediate pain or long term discomfort.

On top of that, insect infestation may mean our food has been compromised or diseases have been introduced, to our society.

I'm not personally fearful of tiny creatures, but that's also partly due to good parenting.

Therefore the other main source for fear of bugs is learning from those around us, particularly at a young age.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Basic instinct..........

• Bee V2
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

I agree. I'm not scared of bugs, however there is still some that in certain situations can scare me. I do not fear spiders, but sometimes if they catch me off guard, or one is on me without my approval, I could get alarmed. But I don't get people who scream and run away because of a lady bug, ant, bee, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.