would you rather have a grill pan or a blender. whats the better investment?

• Favorite Answer

Hm. Two things I use, but could live without ;)

I think a handheld immersion blender is a great, thrifty replacement for most of what a blender does (if you make blended cocktails or milkshakes - you do need the real blender).

I have a grill pan that I use to cook vegetables and I actually love it, but I probably use it once a month. We do have an outdoor gas grill, but I like the control for certain dishes.

So mull over which you think you would use and if you already have acceptable substitutes for them before deciding.

Picture shows what an immersion blender is (not my pic) and some giant patty-pan squash in a grill pan that I made yesterday! Sorry all I had was a grab from my Instagram story ;)

Every kitchen should have both.

But these days, I use my grill pan more.

Grill pan I never use a blender,a food processor does a fine job.

Blender 100%. Grill marks don't do a whole lot for flavor when compared to a hard sear from a normal pan. Blenders on the other hand are versatile and can be used to make smoothies, sauces, and soups!

• C

It depends on how you cook, but if I were buying something for someone leaving home for the first time I'd buy them a powerful stick blender with non-metallic feet so there's no danger of scratching the pan.

• chorle

I agree the a food processor can do most things a blender can and shred cheese and carrots once you figure out if you aren't making baby food you don't need to use all those food processor blades at the same time but also rarely used them when I had them since so often it is easier to do more work with a knife than clean a blender or food processor.

Blender is a better choice of the two.

I do not own a grill pan, I have a cast iron pan. I do not need little "char" lines on my food.

I do have a good blender but if it were to break I would not replace it for quite a while, if at all. I think I would get a stick blender or immersion blender if my blender broke just to see if I could get along quite well without it. (I would use my food processor for much of what the blender does.)

• Lôn

It depends on which you would use most often.

I bought a grill pan two years ago and am about to donate it. Using it indoors, with the vent fan running, still fills the kitchen with smoke and sets the alarm off. We joke that it's less hassle to haul out the charcoal grill and use it, snow or not.

I don't use my blender a lot, but I use it some.

I bought a grill pan earlier this year and use it all the time. It's a brilliant thing for everything from toasted sandwiches to grilled meat and vegetables. I also have a blender, but use it far less.

In 30 years of adulthood I've never had a use for either of those things. They are both one-trick-ponies and a waste of space IMO.

Food processor does everything a blender can do (and way more too). I cannot think of anything I would want a grill pan for when I already have an actual grill and a cast iron pan.

If I want grilled meat or vegetables, I put them on the grill. Things like pancakes and grilled sandwiches can be made very easily in a saute pan.

People who like to make certain kinds of cocktails would appreciate a blender. Food processor works just fine but doesn't pour as well as a blender.