Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 6 months ago

How dangerous is it to go swimming in a thunderstorm?

I refused, but my brother went into the water. Am I lucky to still have a brother?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • TQ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's not at all dangerous to go swimming in a thunderstorm as long as you're willing to accept the risk of being struck by lightning.

• Atarah Derek
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

I was starting to think you didn't know how to do facetious properly.

• 5 months ago

Quite dangerous. Lightning is often attracted to things in the water, as bodies of water can act as conduits.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i'd say that it would be safer in the ocean than in a pool. Maybe.

• 6 months ago

Very dangerous

Electricity takes the path of least resistance, in other words, lighting will hit the highest point! When you are in the water, your head will be the highest point, so if lighting were to strike the location you are swimming in, it will hit your head and trickle downwards. Also, water contains electrical currents, which means it will cause an intense shock when the two come into effect, in other words it will most likely be a fatal strike if a strike were to occur when your in the water.

How lucky were you to still have him? I would need to know where exactly the storm was when he swam! If the storm was miles away, then he wasn't in any true danger. However, if the storm was within a mile or right overhead, he was a brain dead idiot and very lucky to not have been killed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

He was probably safer in the water than you were out of it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.