Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 6 months ago

Tips on planing a trip out the country?

I’ve finally saved enough money to go to Scotland and I want to go next summer. I know the basic stuff like booking a flight and hotel. Are there any other things I need to know to make it easier? Also if you’ve been to Scotland- what are some nice things to do/ places to visit?

• F

If someone in Scotland calls you "pal", (esp in Glasgow) you haven't made a new friend, they are just drunk.

• TSK

How are we meant to know where you are? Is an INTERNATIONAL English language forum...Lots of info online about Scotland...

go somewhere thst's safe don't go alone,

win a dream trip

http://traveloffer.pagedemo.co/

If you are planning on going to Scotland during August, be aware that the Edinburgh Fringe Festival will be on and is usually most of August (this year it is 2nd - 26th). Accommodation will be booked well in advance and if there is any left, it might be expensive, so take that into consideration when working out your dates. If you are interested in visiting during that time, then book accommodation early, or think about staying somewhere with a train or bus commute.

If you have your own transport, Scotland is your oyster. The scenery and castles are stunning. If you don't have your own transport, then there are a number of coach day trips available from major cities.

• Jon

By "out the country" do you mean you are going to the rural parts of Scotland (the countryside)?

We can't make useful suggestions without knowing what you like. For me, as a visitor coming from England, it is the Highlands and the islands which are attractive, as they are different from the towns and farmland back home. You may want to see something quite different.

If you do want to get out to the islands, try this route. Train from Glasgow to Mallaig (great scenery). Stay there, visit Inverie and Loch Morar, then ferry over to Skye, perhaps stay again, buses over Skye to Uig and the ferry over to Lochmaddy on North Uist. Stay on North Uist or neighbouring Bernarry or Benbeccula. Explore. Then buses and ferries down the island chain to Castlebay on Barra, stay there. Either a ferry and train back to Glasgow, or take the flight on the 18-seater which takes off from the beach at low tide. Having spent some time in the Western Isles you may find being back anywhere where there are lots of people or the roads are two lanes wide takes some acclimatising.

The natural landscape in Scotland is tremendously beautiful - The Highlands, The Cairngorns, the Isle of Skye etc

visitscotland.co.uk

• Clive

Where in Scotland are you planning to go? It's hard to answer if I don't know where you're staying. Get a guide book (just borrow one from a public library) and see what looks interesting. I don't know what YOU would think is interesting.

As you mention flights, that means ending up in Edinburgh or Glasgow. There are other airports but they don't have international flights. Or you could fly to London and go up to Scotland by train, which is a nice way to do it. You get to see all the countryside on the way. It takes 4-5 hours but by the time you've done all the fiddling about you have to do at airports, it's not much quicker to fly, and you're not In a hurry, are you? And you get to see more than just clouds.

Without any ideas of what you would find interesting, I suggest staying in Edinburgh. That's where all the historical stuff is, being the capital city. Be prepared for it to be cold and windy.

Of course if you're from outside the UK you need a passport, and whether you need a visa as well depends on your nationality. If you're a citizen of Canada, the USA, Australia or New Zealand, you won't, you're welcome for up to 6 months just as a visitor, but check, and do that early enough so there is time to get one.

The currency is of course the British pound so get some pound notes from your bank but debit and credit cards are widely accepted. Tell whoever issued your card where you're going or they might block the card, thinking it's been stolen. Scottish banks issue their own notes so you might get some interesting ones in change! It's difficult to spend them elsewhere in the UK so try to change them back into your own currency before you leave.

How familiar are you with Scottish accents? If you're not used to it, you could even wonder whether the people are speaking English at all - it IS English, but very strongly accented. Find videos of Billy Connolly speaking on youtube - if you can cope with his very strong Glasgow accent, you'll be fine. It's not so strong as that in Edinburgh.

• Etta

I am from Scotland and go overseas every summer vacation because there is nothing here I want to see and it is usually cold and wet. Seemingly there is lots of castles and architecture here in Scotland if that is what you want to see but doesn't interest me. If I couldn't go overseas for a vacation I would go to south of England, probably Devon.

• Clive

So you have nothing helpful to say.

"Out of the country" implies we should have a clue where you're coming from. We don't. Get a guide book

Go somewhere that’s safe, don’t go alone, go with a big group or at least two other people.

• Mercury

No problem going alone, unless your going hill working.