I need excel help. What graph to use to best display a lot of information?

Essentially I have temperature checks of a machine over 7 days. Each day the temperature is taken every 15 minutes over a period of ten hours. I am looking to put this info into some sort of a graph so that the people who need the information can see it clearly in a way that makes sense, is informative, easily comparable and isn't too overwhelming. How do i manage to add the date, the time and the temperature in one graph and how do i do it so it isn't SO much information and just looks like a hot mess on a page.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Garbo7441 is correct in that you have too much information to display for it to be easily understood.

Basically, though, you need a simple line graph with date/time on the x-axis and temperature on the y-axis.

It may be best to produce a separate graph/sheet for each day.

Re-think the purpose of the graph. What are you really trying to tell the reader? Maybe extract only those readings that are outside acceptable limits and show just those?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Adding 40 entries per day, for 7 days, to a graph will likely result in a 'hot mess', as you put it. How critical to the operation of the machine is the 'unit' measurement, i.e. each 15 minute temperature reading? Is there a range of temperature conditions that the users need to be made aware of, i.e. 'Safe', 'Critical', etc? How would the users utilize the graph? Any additional information would be helpful.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.