Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 6 months ago

My Bank of America asking me to provide W9 form?

I haven’t got taxID or SSN. The letter said backup withholding is in charge for my upcoming payments. This means they will put more tax on my checks?

You can't legally open an account or be employed without a tax ID number. Therefore, what you claim involves OUTRIGHT FRAUD on your part.

I very much doubt that you haven't been assigned a tax ID or SSN. More likely, there is one for you, but you don't know what it is. If you are a U.S. citizen or have ever been able to work in the U.S. legally (whether as a permanent resident or because you had a work visa), then ask the Social Security Administration to check their records and tell you what your SSN is. If you are a foreigner who can't work legally in the U.S. and you have never had an ITIN or a SSN, then apply to the IRS for an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number).

They need the form to correctly work your paperwork. TALK to them if you don't have a W9. If you DO have one, send a copy to them.

Need more info.

Apply for an ITIN using For W-7

• Eva

Not more tax. It just means that they will withhold tax from your checks, so your check will be less. You need to get at least an ITIN if you don't qualify for a SSN.

• NA

Unless the check is from BoA, it won't be less. The DEPOSIT will be split with 72% going into the account and 28% to the IRS.

Back up withholding is to assure you file tax returns with the income from interest. They need a number to report your income and shouldn't open an account without one. Did you give them a stolen number to open the account?

• Emerick6 months agoReport

No,they didn’t asked me when I opened.

With no Tax ID or Social...how did they complete the I9 to hire you?

• NA

If taxes are/were withheld, the only way to get the money back is to file a tax return.

If you live in the USA,this is the law.

You imply you are working, which is illegal without an SSN issued to you.

• NA

Even if you have been told you will get a 1099-Misc, they are supposed to withhold 30%, not 24% because you aren't a US citizen--and it's still legal to pay you for work either on a W-2 or a 1099-Misc.