Amber asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

How can I get my kitten to stop begging?

I recently re homed a two month old kitten. She doesn’t have eating problems/doesn’t get fed too little or too much but whenever I’m eating she tries stealing some and won’t leave from it until I throw it away. I put her on the floor but she jumps back up to the food and bites my hand whenever I’m blocking her. I tried putting her by her food bowl while I’m eating but she still goes back to my plate. How can I get her to stop?

Favorite Answer

Get a squirt bottle with water in it. When she jumps up, give her a squirt of water. It is harmless and will teach her not to jump up to your food.

Simple: get rid of the cat.

cats are opportunistic feeders and this is natural behaviour for them, mine will go nuts for any kind of egg im eating and will stop at nothing to get a bite. It's really hard to train a cat like you would a dog and personally, i think spraying them for something so minor is kind of cruel (acceptable but i wouldn't do it to my cat as its just not very nice). Could you shut the door when you're eating so the cat can't get into the room?

• Phil

Do you live near a river? I have a bag.

Sorry, but your cat is too stupid to take NO for an answer. Try putting it outside while you eat.

Either put her in a kennel while you eat, or you can put her in another room.

Our kittens get curious and we simply scruff them, say ‘naughty’ and gently put them back on the floor. One day I repeated this like twenty times before the kitten gave it up. Next meal was only five times and after that I just verbally corrected with ‘off, floor, naughty’. The kitten looked at me like I was stupid then screamed when I just moved my hand a little.

• PAMELA

You shut her out of the room when you are eating, shut her in another room and never ever give her food from your table.

• Tavy

Put her in another room.