My dog is very rude and barks at random people. How do I correct him?

My dog is a male stray dog and he is 1.6 years old. He is very rude and grumpy, that's very disappointing for me. When I wake and disturb him when he sleeps, he growls like an idiot. Whenever he sees a poor kid or a normal person, he starts barking aggressively. I feel ashamed when he barks. I can't think... show more My dog is a male stray dog and he is 1.6 years old. He is very rude and grumpy, that's very disappointing for me. When I wake and disturb him when he sleeps, he growls like an idiot. Whenever he sees a poor kid or a normal person, he starts barking aggressively. I feel ashamed when he barks. I can't think what should I do with him. He is so uncomfortable around strangers that he tends to bark at them.

Because of my dog I have a poor reputation among my neighbours. They hate me and my family because of our dog. ( I'm an Indian from India)