Can you be leased an apartment if you make a little less than three times the monthly rent?

For example...

They want your monthly income to be at least 3x the monthly rent. So... if an apartment is $725/month and three times that is $2,175, and my monthly income is only $2,080, would they still let me get the apartment? It's only a little less than what they're looking for.

Sorry if this is confusing, I just don't know how to word it

Favorite Answer

It's up to the individual landlord. Plus remember, income is only part of the qualification process. Credit, previous rental history and criminal history is considered too.

Not usually. Since you are close, they might consider it if you have a good history, no debts, good references, good credit. Otherwise, forget it.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

I rented one making double. I had excellent credit and I think a co-signer.

You can ask. If your credit is good and everything else looks ok then they may say you are close enough and let you rent. They could also say no, but no harm in asking.

Maybe, but most likely no. They are usually looking for you to make a MINIMUM of 3 times the rent.

If your credit and rental history are excellent...they will likely make an exception for you. If borderline credit with borderline income...no way.

• Judy

You worded it fine. They might, it's up to them, if you show you don't have much debt.

Entirely up to the LL.

Income requirements are at the discretion of the landlord.

• .

They have requirements for a reason, so I doubt the apartment complex will make exceptions. That becomes a slippery slope.

• linkus86

This isn't an incorrect answer, not sure why the TDs.