Can you be leased an apartment if you make a little less than three times the monthly rent?

For example...

They want your monthly income to be at least 3x the monthly rent. So... if an apartment is $725/month and three times that is $2,175, and my monthly income is only $2,080, would they still let me get the apartment? It's only a little less than what they're looking for.

Sorry if this is confusing, I just don't know how to word it

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's up to the individual landlord. Plus remember, income is only part of the qualification process. Credit, previous rental history and criminal history is considered too.

• 6 months ago

Not usually. Since you are close, they might consider it if you have a good history, no debts, good references, good credit. Otherwise, forget it.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 6 months ago

I rented one making double. I had excellent credit and I think a co-signer.

• 6 months ago

You can ask. If your credit is good and everything else looks ok then they may say you are close enough and let you rent. They could also say no, but no harm in asking.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Maybe, but most likely no. They are usually looking for you to make a MINIMUM of 3 times the rent.

• 6 months ago

If your credit and rental history are excellent...they will likely make an exception for you. If borderline credit with borderline income...no way.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You worded it fine. They might, it's up to them, if you show you don't have much debt.

• 6 months ago

Entirely up to the LL.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Income requirements are at the discretion of the landlord.

Lv 7
    6 months ago

They have requirements for a reason, so I doubt the apartment complex will make exceptions. That becomes a slippery slope.

• linkus86
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

This isn't an incorrect answer, not sure why the TDs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.