Patrick asked in Social ScienceSociology · 6 months ago

what does it mean when a person selling a car has only had it for a couple of weeks?

I was interested in a truck for sale til I realized he had only had the truck for a couple of weeks. I said, sorry, but I'm looking to buy from someone with a little (lot) more history with the vehicle. The guy burst out laughing and then said in a really condescending voice... "have fun" before I said bye and hung up. I guess he was angered by my rejection and thought by being dismissive of me he would regain the upper hand or something.

• Dan B
    Favorite Answer

It take more than 2 weeks to get the car titled into the sellers name. However, if he can walk into his local DMV, it can be done in about an hour. Whenever you consider purchasing a vehicle from a private owner, inspect the ORIGINAL title, not a photo copy. It the titled owner the same as the person selling the car? If not, he needs a power of attorney. Does the VIN#s match. Is the mileage realistic for the age of the vehicle..

• STEVEN F

It took me more like 2 MINUTES last time I bough from a private party.

He may buy and sell cars from auctions as a side gig.

The nice thing about being the buyer is that you can buy whatever you want.

He probably buys and resells vehicles as his business or a sideline. With the VIN you can get the vehicle’s history, and it is reasonable to ask the seller to provide the printout. Most likely he buys cars at public auctions or find deals on classified listings.

• A Hunch

Vehicle history reports are not legitimate.

He was just buying and selling for a profit.