Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 6 months ago

Can you setup direct deposit at the irs office?

I already filed for my 2018 tax returns I have to go into the irs office in verify my identity since I’m a first time filer. And I currently don’t have a place for my return to be mailed to. Also when I filed online I already setup direct deposit.

• RICK

That is set up on your return when you file

No. It can only be done when you file. It cannot be done later.

Also when I filed online I already setup direct deposit.

You CAN'T change what you set up when you filed the return.

If you filed already it's going to go to that account.. you don't have to set it up at the IRS. In fact I don't think they will do that there anyway.

You mail your return to the IRS Service Center for your state.

• Judy

If you already filed online, you don't have to mail it. Did you say direct deposit then? If not, too late.

• Eva

All the office is going to do is verify your identity to release the refund. It's already set up for direct deposit.

Your tax return is not 'mailed to you'. You send it to THEM (either physical or on line) and keep a copy of what you filed.

Yes you can set up direct deposit which you appear to have already done. However, be aware that if you owe the IRS money, they will grab it directly from the account. This year we were due a Federal refund and owed additional State tax. The additional State tax was taken from the account immediately on filing day and the Federal refund took two weeks to arrive. If you are living paycheck to paycheck, do not do this. Rent a PO box, much safer.

You said you already set up direct deposit when you filed your tax return so I am confused as to what you are asking.

I don't believe so if you didn't set it up on the original filing, but you already did, so it doesn't matter.