Is it rude to ask bridesmaids to pay for their own dresses?

Opinions on bridesmaids buying their own dresses? I am having an all you can eat, all you can drink wedding in Italy and I have 9 bridesmaids, I did not intend to have this many I only chose a couple of friends but I had my family telling me, you should have your nieces they are family they are more important. I... show more Opinions on bridesmaids buying their own dresses? I am having an all you can eat, all you can drink wedding in Italy and I have 9 bridesmaids, I did not intend to have this many I only chose a couple of friends but I had my family telling me, you should have your nieces they are family they are more important. I felt to awkward to say no. The only problem is I can’t afford 9 dresses as I haven’t even started saving for my own dress yet and my wedding is less than a year away. My MOH told me that she’s happy to pay and she thinks it’s not a problem asking others but the others have already assumed I’m paying and have said things to me like you don’t have to buy our dresses yet, or are sure everyone can make the wedding before you pay for the dresses etc. I did think that everyone can choose their own dresses, choose their own style , also so they know how much they can afford i they can choose the price, as long as they stick to the colour I want. I did feel a bit guilty as my wedding is abroad that they have expenses as flights and hotels but I did make sure my wedding wasn’t in seasonal time so it would be cheaper for everyone. Also the night before the wedding I’ve booked and paid for all the bridesmaids and myself to stay at a villa the day and night before the wedding as I didn’t want to make them pay for extra accommodation on top of the one they are having for the rest of their stay during my wedding, luckily this wasn’t too expensive and only for one night. Opinion?
19 answers 19