Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 6 months ago

Cameras: deciding between Canon SL1 or Nikon d3400?

I will mostly use to create basketball mixtape videos. I currently own a SL1/100D but thinking of moving to the Nikon side... Preferably the d3500. Which should I choose and why? Or any other camera suggestions?

Neither. If you are shooting video, you want a camcorder, not a still camera.

• John P

Indeed for video work use a camcorder. Why do people assume that still cameras with add-on video facilities are suitable for serious video work?

• keerok

Videos? You should be looking at camcorders. Try a Sony Handycam. You'll get better autofocus, especially with all that movement, and you get to record much longer than any digital camera out there.

I would buy a Pentax K-70

rather than either of the models you mentioned.

• Frank

Here's a side-by-side comparison between the SL1 and D3400: https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-...

Most notable differences:

1) The Nikon D3400 does not have an internal AF motor. This means that unless you buy a lens with an internal AF motor, you will loose AF with that lens on the D3400. Not all lenses for or by Nikon have internal AF motors, which means your lens selection will be limited.

2) All Canon DSLRs shoot 14-bit RAW. The Nikon D3xxx series (including the D3400) only shoot 12-bit RAW files. So what's the big deal about "only" a 2-bit difference? The difference isn't linear, but instead it's exponential. Every additional bit doubles the number of tones that the file can have from pure black to pure white. The D3400 can produce RAW files with 4,096 tones, while the SL1 can produce RAW files with 16,384 tones. This means you'll have a much higher level of control and adjustment when processing your images. You'll be able to open up the shadows and bring down the highlights to a much higher level with the SL1 than you can with the D3400.

3) The SL1 has an external mic jack for those who will use it for video. The video performance of the D3400 is really awful and you should avoid it if video is important to you.

The advantages of the D3400 are:

1) shoots at 5fps vs 4fps

2) has less noise at very high ISO settings: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?...

3) Has a battery with a much longer life

Along with this comparison, you should also go to https://www.imaging-resource.com and read up on their review of these two cameras. IR does a really good job in going deeper than just the main features. They look at performance such as the speed and accuracy of the focusing system and other things regarding what it's like to actually use the camera.

Personally, I'd avoid any of the Nikon D3xxx series of cameras simply because they do not have internal AF motors and they don't shoot 14-bit RAW files. I often shoot landscapes which typically have very large brightness ranges. Not being able to recover shadows and highlights as effectively as a 14-bit file simply makes the D3400 a non-starter for me.

A better camera than either one of these two models would be the Pentax K-70. It's superior to just about any APS-C camera that Nikon or Canon makes in most ways as can be seen in the link that I provided. The mere fact that the K70 has in-body image stabilization, for me at least, is huge. No matter which lens I use, even a 1970s lens, I'll still have 5 stops of IS. Five stops is the difference between shooting at ISO 100 vs ISO 3,200! Plus, the K-70 has vastly superior high-ISO performance than almost any APS-C format DSLR on the planet - as seen in the link provided.

Buy a camcorder ...

• Andrew

If your existing camera works, you don't need a new one.

• BriaR

Ask a couple of simple questions. What can a D3500 do that your SL1/100D cannot?

What features does the D3500 have that are missing from your SL1/100D?

Personally I would say that Canon beats Nikon hands down for shooting video but then again...

If you are shooting exclusively video then why not buy a video camera?

Nikon is always the answer. Nikon and big títties. Can’t go wrong.

Nikon makes better lenses.