How is a person on disability supposed to live off of $744 per month.?

771 ssi

food card $164 to $228

state sub check $42 to $46

low income housing

use food pantries

Threw the community mental health center you go their you get a case worker and then they will help apply and get all benefits you rights to and even grants like I had did and connect you to DHS SSI case workers working to get 0 co-pays and you saying how do I live off this amount the same way I did it will be shown to you and I am just telling you about myself because I had a tumor and I have seizures mounts after I graduated high school I called the community mental health center and a volunteer driver picked me up and took me to my meeting and we meant talked about what I wanted I went the next and maid goal planning and one was having a choir provider care taker for making life better and since I went life each month with meal planning,budgeting,house work because I can't lift heavy things all been better and you tell them what you need and your helped with it and we took healthy eating classes and you should consider this to be able to know how to live life like a disabled person and have the funds even for vacation shown by them.my seizure dog is paid for even at the vet.

• Fred

I'm afraid it is a common problem around the world. Pensions are designed to be enough to survive on but not enough to have a good life on. The problem these days is so many people are on pensions such as disability and old age pensions and governments find it hard to find the money to cover these payments so try and keep them as low as possible. In my country the pension used to be enough for the person to have some money left over for entertainment, but today they barely get enough for necessities.

• Ann

If you are on disability, you are eligible for housing and medical benefits. You can go to a food bank to get staples, and you can buy fresh fruits/vegetables that are discounted because they're nearly out of date (but not spoiled). Get a disabled person card to allow you to go at a discounted price to dr. appointments. You plan your diet carefully, eating fruits and vegetables and avoiding unhealthy foods, so you won't require as many dr. visits. Keep yourself healthy by walking or getting some kind of exercise (even if it's just stretching) every day. This will avoid your being sick. Take advantage of free things to do in your community. Just because you don't have much money, it doesn't mean you have to sit home and feel sorry for yourself. While the weather is nice, stay outside. Run your air conditioner sparingly. Turn out the lights when you leave a room. Don't run water unneccesarily. Watch your utility bills carefully. Go to the library and read. It's cool there, and you'll be around people. If you're so inclined, join a church. You'll make some friends, the church might help you if you have an emergency, and it will give you some security.

That's the good ole government

• David

What makes you think Republicans are to blame?

It seems like it’s expected to live in a group home situation or some kind of low income housing. And you aren’t allowed to save money to move to a cheap area either on ssi. I don’t understand why anyone with a choice would choose this lifestyle like so many assume. It’s a better life to be able bodied and work minimum wage full time. Even with roommate situations it’s almost impossible and if you factor in needing a place on the first level and handicapped accessible it’s hopeless.

• Judith

Only people who are incapable of independent living live in group homes.

It is possible. But it is a life of poverty, unless you have family. SSI and SSDI were established long ago and the amount though not unchanged has not kept up with inflation. The COLA, the increase you might get each year is based on the expenses of a typical person, but the expenses of a person on SSI raise much more dramatically. How much does the cost of owning a home or a car go up each year - not much. How much does the cost of food, medicine, and other life essentials go up - quite a bit. So the COLA is inherently unfair.

Example: I have a car that I have now fully purchased (8 yrs old).I have been able to do needed repairs as they come along. So my yearly car expenses are quite small.

I can no longer drive my car due to vision issues. I now take Lyft. I spend about 120 a week (480 + mo.) on Lyft rides to doctor's appointments. If my only source of income was SSI I could not afford to go to the doctor.

How many people on SSI can afford a good running car? They are paying for constant repairs or Lyft or both. COLA is based on my owning a car and it being in good condition.

FAIR? Absolutely not.

It is pretty much impossible:(

ideally they have family to live with and the SSI/SSDI just goes to personal expenses including low rent. SSI is 771/month. So unless the person has other resources they should get 771/month with no other income.

many end up homeless. lucky ones get on section 8 or other subsidized housing and live deprived lives even with food stamps and utility assistance

some people might have a condo in a low cost state that family bought for them..wouldn't work in my state, between taxes/condo fee (for heat/hot water, etc) runs at least 600/month minimum....even with utility assistance/food stamps...doesn't work

AND when there is a COLA increase, if you get food stamps, that goes down.....not by the whole amount, but food prices go up, and food stamps don't..in fact they were reduced about 5% about 5 years ago

there are disability related expenses not taken into account. for example, I can't manage dishes, even with a dishwasher...i rely on disposable which is an added expense...i need help, but can't afford to hire help...and no good Christians will even volunteer a couple hours per month. I need more expensive convenience foods since I can't cook. I struggle to be productive a couple hours per day...there is no extra time or energy for cooking or cleaning

With wisdom....

By magic.

Actually though, the person usually gets medical and food benefits in addition to the money.

It still isn't realistic.

• SimplytheFACTS

minimum rent in NJ is about 600--and that is in a gang infested slum, lucky to find anything minimally safe for 900-1000.....many people can't get subsidized housing because of deadbeats draining the system.