Henry
Lv 4
Henry asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesTata · 5 months ago

Do our scientists, economists, and computer theorists know that information, work and discoveries build upon previous information/work?

Update:

Do our scientists, economists, innovators, technicians, musicians, inventors, historians, researchers, political theorists, businessmen, and computer theorists know that information, work and discoveries build upon previous information, work, and discoveries?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Yes, of course

It's especially characterised by a technique called extrapolation where existing data are combined and expanded to form a new hypothesis

• 5 months ago

Every one of us knows that and acknowledges it.

The more knowledgeable the person the more they realize their debt.

Isaac Newton, who I would rate as the most incisive person in history, recognized this in his quote

" If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."

Only the truly ignorant think that somehow they have magically created something entirely on their own.

I would go even further. A political point. It is our system that gives "ownership" of some idea to a person who makes the last link in a very long chain. Without providing credit to the creators of the rest of that chain. Such a process stultifies discovery and progress rather than advancing it.

• Lv 7
    5 months ago

EVERYTHING builds upon previous work.

what's your point?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.