My attorney has stopped working on my case. Can she do that?

Update:

I won an employment case and was awarded a sum of money in 2017. I have been asking my attorney what is going on, and nothing. In July 2018 she filed a Motion to Enforce/Settlement and it was granted. I have not heard from her. I asked for a copy of the case, she says her asst will send me in a flash drive. Aside from that, if I dont seek her she will not give me and update. There is no collection process going on, WHAT CAN I DO?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Sure, hire a new attorney.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Yeti
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There may be nothing else for the attorney to do, at least not anything with "updates."

Are you behind on your payments to your attorney? Sometimes they'll put nonpaying clients on the back burner. Why should they keep working on a case for free?

• Sophia C7 months agoReport

She gets paid if I win and I did win, I have no clue why she does not want to collect. I told her right away, to start collections, they are from another country and they will hide there money and assets. And she given them more than enough time to do that. I just wanna know my rights.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Why did your attorney stop working on your case. You can speak to a second attorney and ask that second attorney to take over. WHAT DOES THE RETAINER AGREEMENT SAY ABOUT HOW LONG ATTORNEY #1 WILL WORK IN YOUR CASE.

I will "win" a case on a contingency basis, but I do not get paid until the client receives the settlement so I push and push to collect.

If I am retained on an hourly basis I am paid as the case proceeds. I do not do collections, so after the "win" another attorney takes over and enforces the judgment.

If you are very unhappy, notify the State Bar Association.

EDIT: What do I think? I think no attorney will make you happy - "Can a workmans comp attory collect on your settlement, if you fired them, 2 months on the case? Update: I got hurt at work 4 months into my claim I got an attorney because I didn know what to ask for. I seen her once in the 2 months that she was my attorney, never returned calls, but I did talk with the asst. She referred me to this horrible doctor that only gave me pills and i wanted physical therapy, So im like WHAT IS SHE DOING? So I fired her. 1 year later I settled on my own and now she is asking for 15% of my settlement. Ive called her to talk about it SHE WONT CALL ME BACK, I need help."

• 7 months ago

Did you get your money? You could talk to a local legal group such as a free legal assistance place

• Sophia C7 months agoReport

No, I was awarded 14k, she got the Motion to Enforce Settlement in 7/2018 and she has not done anything on it to collect. Thats why im like asking what can I do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.