I am learning English, so can I say?

How to use Here and There?

1 If I am sitting with my friends, and three people walk over to my group, then can I say : Here are Ann, Tom and Mary.

2 If I point at a photo, then can I say : Here are Ann, Tom and Mary.

Thanks!

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

As a very general idea, if you are pointing elsewhere, then you do not say here. The question turns on what you consider as "Not here" for the purpose of what you are saying. It is a perspective thing. Here in this photo we have several of our long-time friends at the beach. That is Jill, this one is Jane, and over next to the car is Bob.

this and that, here and there. depends on what you define as here and this, the perspective you have chosen. a matter of proximity to the "Observer" as you define it. not here is there. not this is that. you generally get to choose what are this and here. there are general rules of how we decide what is here or this, but they are pretty loose.

1 year ago

You can. In each case as they are near to you, use here.

If they are distant, use there.

• 1 year ago

yes............

• RP
    1 year ago

To both of your questions, yes.