Record player speaker replacement?

I have an old record player that needs a new speaker as it no longer works. I am having a hell of a time trying to locate another speaker like the one shown in the picture. Does any one have any suggestions on how I can go about fixing my player with a different speaker or how I can find the same type? You can hear music playing from underneath but it is not making its way to the front speaker. the volume and tone dials do not work.


"JAPAN HOKUTONE 100P-07 3.20 1W" on back of speaker

Attachment image

5 Answers

  • M.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    3.2Ω, 1 watt speaker

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

    You can use any 3.2 or 4 ohm speaker you can find that will fit.

    Look for an electronic parts dealer near you.

    There aren't many left, but you might get lucky

    and find one that has been in business long enough to have older parts in stock.

    Check with "surplus" electronics dealers online, too.

    A few I can name readily are ...

    Herbach & Rademan

    Electronic Goldmine

    All Electronics

    And --- how do you KNOW that the speaker is bad?

    Have you connected another one to test the amplifier?

    I see in your pix that the unit has a tube amplifier.

    Have you tested the tubes in the unit,

    or substituted them with known-good tubes?

    There is a good chance that the problem is related to old capacitors and resistors.

    Have you checked those parts?

    Lastly, small output transformers are likely to fail.

    Have you tested yours for continuity, particularly the primary winding?

    [With the unit disconnected from power, pull the output tube

    and use an ohmmeter on the red and blue wires.]

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

    A four ohm speaker of the same or similar diameter should work fine.


    Data for that:

    You do not give the speaker dimensions or mounting hole spacing, so I'm guessing those...

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Tony B
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    If you're sure the speaker is at fault then I doubt you'll get one exactly the same to replace it. Assuming that “3.20” is the impedance then you need a 3.2 impedance speaker that is rated at 1 watt or more. The diameter needs to be the same or else it will not physically fit.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • khalil
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    first check it with an ohm-meter .. it is a 3.2 ohms 1 watt speaker ...

    Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.