John asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Can you get radiation poisoning from a microwave?

I put a can in the microwave for a few seconds by accident not thinking took it out and proceeded to cook the food and eat it is there any chance I could have radiation poisoning

As long as you're not going inside the microwave with the food, you're perfectly safe!

No. I think you're fine.

About as much chance as there is of being poisoned by the radiation from your cell phone.

• Clive

No chance whatsoever. Not all radiation is the same kind. The light you're using to be able to read this is radiation, but you didn't ask about that. Why didn't you?

The trouble with the word "radiation" is it covers a whole number of things that can travel through space. Which is not helpful for understanding what's going on. What KIND of radiation? Some is dangerous, most isn't.

What is definitely dangerous is ionising radiation, basically radioactivity, gamma rays and X-rays. These have high enough energy to damage the atoms in your body by knocking bits out of them and causing cancer. Which is why you don't really want to have an X-ray photo taken in hospital too often, and why the radiographer hides behind a screen while they're doing it. I had one done a couple of months ago. I could hardly breathe because something was clogging up my lungs so he wanted a chest X-ray. One quick flash like that is OK, but the radiographer is doing dozens of them every day and needs to stay safe. (It turned out to be just an infection and a good dose of salbutamol - people with asthma get that as inhalers - plus a week of antibiotics put me right again.)

Microwaves, on the other hand, are a specific frequency of lower-frequency electromagnetic radiation (like light and radio waves). They are at the right frequency to make water molecules jiggle about, rub together and get hot, that makes the rest of the food get hot too, bingo, hot food.

The only possible danger from a microwave oven is if the door does not shut securely, so microwaves leak out and cook YOU. What prevents this normally is a metal grid on all sides of the oven, including in the door window, This creates a Faraday cage and the microwaves can't get through that, so you're safe.

And never put anything metal in a microwave oven. The microwaves cannot penetrate through it, and you can get sparking from a build-up of electrical charge. In extreme cases you will get a spark of lightning back into the cavity magnetron (which generates the microwaves) and now you have one very dead oven. If you've ever wondered why microwave ovens are very heavy at one end, that's where the cavity magnetron is - it contains a heavy magnet. The rest of it is basically a Faraday-caged box to put the food in.

Source(s): My physics degree.

Blimey! That's a good one LOL

• Janet

No chance .........

Since microwaves dont use radiation, no.

None. Microwave is just a type of electrical frequency which excites water molecules, thus heating them. There is no "radiation" of the type that concerns you, namely radioisotopes.

Light is electromagnetic radiation, as are radio waves. But that does not mean they are radioactive. That comes from unstable atoms.

Nah, but if ya whacked metal in the microwave, then you're bloody lucky ya didn't blow your microwave up and even risk causing a bloody fire. Don't do it again, 'cos it could have dangerous consequences.

Zero chance.

Microwaves do not produce ionizing radiation.