How risky would opening an IRA that utilizes precious metals as opposed to paper dollar be?

I'm in my early twenties exploring retirement plan options. I collect precious metal coins and bars and sell them for profit, but have never looked into an IRA that utilizes precious metals for money rather than paper money. Obviously the value of precious metals can drop and rise, but paper money can also... show more I'm in my early twenties exploring retirement plan options. I collect precious metal coins and bars and sell them for profit, but have never looked into an IRA that utilizes precious metals for money rather than paper money. Obviously the value of precious metals can drop and rise, but paper money can also decrease in value over time depending on the economy.
I'm actually looking for opinions and what others think about a retirement plan that uses precious metals instead of paper money. So would you feel that having $500,000 in precious metals by the age of 35 hold up better when looking 60 years down the road in life and that amount possibly doubling in the scenario that the demand for precious metals increased? Or should I just keep it simple and focus on paper money?