What is your opinion of people who are selling a car, but they don't want you to come to their house?

I'll be honest, if someone isn't willing to meet me at their house, then I scratch them off my list. I have sold many cars (I'm 59 years old), and I have never once told someone to meet me in a parking lot somewhere. I'm an honest person, I have nothing to hide. Are you one of these people who don't want people to know where yo live? What are you afraid of?

• Never
    Favorite Answer

I bought a car away from a guy who did not have me come to his house when I was young. He said it was easier to meet at such & such than give me directions. I did not give it a 2nd thought.

But, that was 30 years ago.

Times are more dangerous now and they don't know you from Adam.

Nothing wrong with meeting at Walmart or the police station whatever.

Besides, their address will be on the title and you can ask to see their license to make sure it matches the name on the title. (If you decide to buy)

Later, I became a low end car dealer and I sold off curbs. I was licensed and bonded but my house was not a car lot. At first I used my home address but we had former customers stopping by & checking out cars in the driveway that were not for sale so I quit that and used a PO box.

• Never

Just for you, I will let you come to my house if I ever decide to sell my car.

SMH

Could be sketchy, but they might just be trying to protect themselves and their families.

I had a friend trying to sell a drumkit on craigslist one time and a guy wanted to come by and see it. I was playing it when he got there, and I got up and offered to let him try it out. The guy sat down and looked at it, but admitted he didn't know how to play drums - claiming he was 'checking it out for a friend'.

We escorted him out promptly (and maybe more than just a tad roughly) because it was obvious he was just casing the house.

• JetDoc

One never knows what sort of weirdos you meet online these days. I can understand why people don't want to invite total strangers to come to their home. I hold a concealed carry permit from my state, and I'm always armed when dealing with strangers... Especially when there may be THOUSANDS of dollars in cash involved in a transaction.

• F

Some dodgy dealers do the opposite and sell cars from their home instead of a business premisis, so they can get round trading laws.

The way it works is people take down your address then come round and steal your car. But yeah, meeting up in a carpark with a pocket full of cash is dodgy as all f***.

• Lv 5

If they came 'round My place, they'd Keep Driving. I have 3 dead ones; from 1980 to 1999. And a dead '83 motorcycle.

You gotta know what you’re buying. Especially a car. Meet in a neutral location.

• .

It depends on the location. Some people are afraid of crime. But if you live in a nice neighborhood, they shouldn't worry.

Sounds dodgy if they want to meet at a parking lot etc.

• Rick B

I would not want anyone coming to my home to buy an item.

• catmich996 months agoReport

I mean it is a car. We are not talking about various things. We are talking about a car. Therefore say car. Not item.

Understandable.

• Lv 7

Understandable that the seller does not want you coming to his house. He probably doesn’t want you knowing where he lives due to crime.