S.A asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 6 months ago

Why does the UK not have a Deputy Prime Minister?

I am aware that the Deputy Prime Minister position exists, but is only filled upon the Prime Ministers wishes (Similar to the First Secretary of State), however shouldn’t a government like the UK have one? I mean France have a President and Prime Minister, Germany have their Chancellor and President (despite the lack of power of this office).

I mean currently the de facto second in charge is the highest ranking cabinet member who happens to be the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, David Lidington.

Is there a reason why a formal office for Deputy Prime Minister was never created, as even the current office does not hold with it an executive position or salary.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Because there is no need for one. Your comparisons with France and Germany are irrelevant as those actually ARE different jobs under their constitutions. The equivalent in the UK, as head of state and head of government, is the Queen and the Prime Minister.

There are in fact no government posts in the UK that have to exist - the Queen is free to create them at whim, though always on the recommendation of the Prime Minister. So really it's up to the Prime Minister to create a Cabinet of whatever posts he or she wants, and the Queen will go along with it. When I was a civil servant, the Department I was in changed several times purely because of the Prime Minister shuffling things around.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

The UK has the Queen as head of state where other countries have a president, so technically you could say the PM is second in charge.

• Clive
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Now answer the question.

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

LOL. Why does the USA have a clown as their president?

• 6 months ago

The UK has no constitution, so a lot of stuff is simply convention. The Prime minister doesn't even technically have to be an MP - although they always have been since Robert Gascoyne-Cecil (i.e Lord Salisbury).

• Clive
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Yes it DOES have a constitution. It's just not all written down in one place.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

YA UK is that way <-----

• Clive
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

So you have nothing to say.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.