Why does the UK not have a Deputy Prime Minister?

I am aware that the Deputy Prime Minister position exists, but is only filled upon the Prime Ministers wishes (Similar to the First Secretary of State), however shouldn’t a government like the UK have one? I mean France have a President and Prime Minister, Germany have their Chancellor and President (despite the... show more I am aware that the Deputy Prime Minister position exists, but is only filled upon the Prime Ministers wishes (Similar to the First Secretary of State), however shouldn’t a government like the UK have one? I mean France have a President and Prime Minister, Germany have their Chancellor and President (despite the lack of power of this office).

I mean currently the de facto second in charge is the highest ranking cabinet member who happens to be the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, David Lidington.

Is there a reason why a formal office for Deputy Prime Minister was never created, as even the current office does not hold with it an executive position or salary.