PB asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 months ago

Do you think I can find such a story or I should write it by myself?

I want to read a story like "Notre Dame de Paris", only that I want the character to be quite normal or even handsome and be told by the person who adopted him that he's ugly and he must stay away from others and since he has no one to tell him the truth he believes his benefactor's words and stays away from other people.

• Marli
    Best Answer

I don't know of a story in which the handsome "hero" is told he is ugly and so hides himself. There probably are stories in which the protagonist believes a lie that a parent or mentor figure has told him, and acts on that false belief. There were scads of romance novels in my teens in which her best friend, the scheming "other woman", tells the heroine that the hero does not love her but was playing with her emotions or robbing her of her virtue. She dumps the hero and it takes the entire book for him to convince her he is good as gold and loves her madly.

If you wish to read Jane Austen's novels, "Emma" is like the above. Not that Emma is scheming or evil. She persuades her friend Harriet Smith to refuse her suitor William Martin's offer of marriage because she thinks Harriet is socially too good for a mere farmer. Emma would have her marry a clergyman, or one of her own flirts, because they are of a higher social rank. Harriet, guileless and gullible, believes Emma's words because Emma is so superior that she must know what's best. Emma does not see what's before her face, that she is in love with a man she considers a brother figure, and that Harriet thinks Emma wants her to marry him. Ann Elliot in "Persuasion" also believes her mentor that she could do better than marry a sailor, and so she was estranged from her true love Captain Wentworth for seven years.

Closer to your idea might be "Mansfield Park". No one believes the poor cousin Fanny Price is worth knowing. She is thin, shy, and afraid of riding horses. She believes her relatives poor estimation of her, but she is developing into a young woman whom a rake finds worth his interest. It's like the take of the Ugly Duckling developing into a swan, though no one notices her qualities until a stranger shows his interest in her.

But Austen's novels are not quite the story you write of. It's an interesting idea. Here is the beautiful man, hiding because he thinks he is ugly. Why does his benefactor say he is ugly? It's like the old "Munsters" tv comedy, about a family of monsters and vampires, and their stunningly beautiful niece, whom they think is "ugly, poor child." Does the benefactor want the beautiful man for himself? Is he afraid that his protege will become vain and lose his innocence (and virginity?) if he knows he is beautiful or if he goes out and finds other people swooning over him? Is the young man a sort of "holy figure" to his benefactor because of his beauty?

What happens when he finds out he is beautiful? The Ugly Duckling and the mythological Greek Narcissis don't know until they see their reflections. Duckling-Swan is freed of his low self-esteem by the sight. Narcissis is imprisioned by the love of his beauty.

• Amber

I'm sure if you did some research you could find something like that somewhere, even if only fan-fiction. Because it's basically a twist on an existing work if you wrote it yourself you couldn't do anything with it. Except maybe just put it on a forum that accepts fan fiction.

• Marli

Actually, the asker could write it for publication. It is a plot twist. It does not use Hugo's characters or situations, and "Notre Dame de Paris" is in the public domain, Victor Hugo being dead for over a century.