Help with beaver trapping?

Okay guys, 3 months till beaver trapping season opens. I am trapping near the Clearwater River. A land owner has beavers on his property that are destroying the trees. I am going to try to lower the population while make money at the same time. The area has many trails and birch trees. I am wondering how to make dog proof sets that are humane. What lures and baits do I use? Thanks in advance.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Beavers are very powerful. For beaver you will be using the large and powerful 330 conebear - it can kill a small child or dog. Trapping beaver - you always, always, always set the trap underwater so it quickly suffocates/drowns..... this also prevents kids and dogs from discovering it. Underwater also prevents beavers from wiggling out of the trap, and, since the body is underwater it stops predators for ruining the pelt. There are special tools made for this job - google "Funke Trap Tags and Lures" - you will need to practice positioning and setting using the tool..... so...… don t just run out with it and expect things to work first try.

If they are destroying trees and being a nuisance - the property owner can contact the fish and game office for a permit to deal with them. You need not wait until trapping season. Fur animals taken in the summer will always have a thinner coat and thicker leather..... come winter the leather is thinner and the fur is thicker. Summer beaver - you might have a hard time selling them to folks who make garments. However, summer ones look really nice when set inside a willow or other branch stretcher with leather pulls - it looks very nice and they sell well. No cabin in a northern climate should be without one on the wall.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Toruko
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

No. Elevating money-grubbing primitive intellect is not environmentally friendly.

Beavers have a valid place in the ecosystem and taking them out for no other

consideration than the cash earned for their elimination ruins the environment.

Other animals and fish die. Because those beavers aren't there anymore.

Any East Coast State without beavers shows what their absence had led to.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

A conibear works good too.

• 7 months ago

I assume you are in Idaho. Have you taken the mandatory Idaho Department of Fish and Game Trapper Education course yet? If not that would be the first place to start. Even if they do not cover all the information you need in class, I would hope the instructors would be knowledgeable enough to help. Also consult local hunting trapping supply stores.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

use a conebear trap under water.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.