Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 6 months ago

How do you pronounce Katlyn?

I heard someone say it like Katelyn and it blew me away. I can’t see how they came up with that.

Favorite Answer

Kat-lynn. There’s no phonetic way to get Kate-lynn out of this.

CAT Lin as it's spelled

There are various spellings. However, it is the Irish (Gaelic) given name usually spelled as 'Caitlin' . Its pronunciation is the Gaelic language is as 'Kathleen'.

In the phonetics of the Gaelic Language 'ai' us pronounced short as in 'a' in 'cat' . The 'i' is pronounced as 'ee' as in 'seen'.

The usual modern Anglicised pronunciations of 'Caitlin', with respect to the Gaelic language, are incorrect. The Anglicised spelling is 'Kathleen'.

Caitlin/Kathleen are the Gaelic equivalents of 'Catherine'.

• Lita

I would think Cat-lyn, not Katelyn or Caitlin.

It's unfortunately Kat-lin, but you can see how some would get confused and default to an actual name.

• Mark

I wouldn't. The person could have semi-literacy or thought it was "cute and unique" to leave out the "e", or they could think it is "cute and unique" to name their daughter "Catlyn". In the past 40 or so years, people have been adding or subtracting letters to real names or just plain totally mispelling them (like "Puhtrishuh" for "Patricia").

Ask the person whose name it is how they pronounce it. Or the parents who came up with it.

Anything else would be pure speculation.