Is it okay to use old tins of spices and herbs I found in the kitchen of my parents house?

Some I remember from when I was a child and I am in my 60s. They are metal cans. I looked at them and there are no bugs and they smell good. Seems a shame to waste them.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • C
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Are you sure your folks haven't been refilling the cans over the years? If you purely looked at the expiration dates on some of my spice containers you'd be forgiven for thinking that I took a homeopathic approach to seasoning. You can use whatever still has flavour. You can reuse the old tins for as long as you like.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The chances are that they have lost all flavour. This will certainly be true of spices. Get rid of them - they won't be any good.

• 5 months ago

Herbs and spices lose their “oomph”. Old spices like that would mostly be pretty worthless. But cool tins, I’d collect those...

• 5 months ago

The cans might be collectors items at this point.

The spices are WAY TOO OLD.

Most spices last no more than 6 months or a year. For full flavor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Byrd
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Spices expire, toss them.

• 5 months ago

they can loose some of the potency so you would have to increase the amount you use. But they will not harm you.

Might actually be better to use them as part of a rub so you can increase the amount more easily.

I would probably toss them into the garden as part of the compost. Usually most spices are inexpensive enough that tossing them for fresh is better.

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Pitch the spices, but you could wash and re use the metal tins. Spices lose their flavor after about a year, but you can buy new spices and use the metal cans to put them in.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They may not have as much taste but they are perfectly safe.

• Are you too cheap to buy some new spices?

• 5 months ago

Dried spices can sometimes last a very long time. They might not be exactly what you expect (might be a bit musty) but it probably isn't dangerous. Varies from plant to plant I suppose.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.