Renting a car in a country that drives on the left side?

I'm planning to rent a car in Japan and have already acquired a AAA International Driving Permit. It looks like this and a US Passport are all I need to rent a car, but I've never actually driven a car in a left-side country. I've ridden in cars in Ireland, Japan, and the UK, but have never been behind the wheel.

Will they require me to take some sort of test? Even if they don't require a test, are there any good resources or places stateside that would help me to be as prepared as possible?

I live in the UK where they drive on the left. I ve driven in the USA, France, Portugal, Germany where they drive on the right.

There is no test. You just rock up to the car hire place and drive away. You just have to concentrate and remember to drive on the wrong side.

• Edna

I live in the US, where we drive on the right side of the road. .I lived in Bermuda for a time, and Bermuda is a UK country, where they drive on the left side of the road.

I was driving US-manufactured auto in Bermuda, and its steering wheel and controls were on the left side and I sat on the left side.I didn't have to take any special kind of test in order to drive in Bermuda or to drive that car in Bermuda.. I just had to get used to driving on (what seemed to me) to be the "wrong" side of the road.

There are no "special tips" or resources to driving on the "wrong" side of the road in another country. After you do it a couple of times, it becomes automatic, and you don't even think about it. Just go with the flow -- that's all I know to tell you..

You need to make sure you have your own insurance coverage because you have a high chance of an accident. Try to remember to drive so your body is on the right side of the lane, towards the middle of a two lane road. It might be a good idea to have a Japanese friend either drive or constantly remind you how to drive. Good luck, you will need it.

its not so easy take caution but their is no test

When I go to America from the UK I'm shown my rental and off I go.

When working as a truck driver to mainland Europe I could spend part of the day driving on the left and then some of it on the right and then back to the left again.

Just go with the flow, the hardest part for you will be turning right.

I've not been to Japan, but have rented cars in the UK and Ireland. In neither case did I have to prove my driving abilities. To be honest I didn't find it that difficult to switch sides of the road.

Watch the line in the middle of the road, between watching everything else. Look up what car you will have and check the reversed controls

You would be much better off using public transportation in Japan - it is very nice and comfortable.

For times when public transportation isn't an option, use a taxi.

That's a bad idea in my opinion, unless you take some lessons and get some practice in the country you are planning on driving in. How familiar are you with Japanese road signage for example (that would be a big consideration)? Legality is one thing but causing accidents or just pissing people off is quite another. And that won't make your travels any more pleasant or efficient.

I've been around the world twice with Uncle Sam, and decided a LONG time ago to let the locals do the driving .................

Source(s): Retired Army SFC.