wave
wave asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 6 months ago

What tree is this leaf from?

Its not silver birch and I suspect its an elm tree the trouble is the trees where this is from are huge as tall as a fully grown oak, if it was an elm it would be dead by now from dutch elm's disease would they not? So I'm trying to confirm if this is elm and if so wondering if the trees on my land have developed some sort of resistance to the disease?

• Andy

My guess is that it's from a River Birch though, as others have pointed out, it is difficult to be 100% sure without photos of the bark, the overall tree, etc.

• Speed

I need more than just the leaf, since I'm no expert. Lots of leaves look something like that, among them birch and elm.

But if you can see or remember the tree it came from, What Tree Is That is a good app that will identify your leaf. https://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/

Looks like an undergrown mulberry leaf.

looks like elm.