Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 6 months ago

Why is healthcare so much more expensive in the United States than every other country in the world?

Last year my son had to get his appendix removed. His appendix started to rupture while he was at school, so I picked him up and took him to the nearest in-network hospital (I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Texas).

The hospital said he needed surgery, but they didn't have a pediatric surgeon on staff who could perform the procedure. So we had to get an ambulance from this first hospital to another in-network hospital where the surgery was performed. After the initial surgery he had to go back a week later for a lingering infection at the wound site.

My out of pocket costs last year were around $13k which includes $3,000 in annual premiums, a $6k deductible, and about $1k in co-pays. The ambulance ride was not covered by my insurance and cost about $2,700 ($500 pick up fee, $500 drop off fee, plus $100/mile). I fought with my insurance company over this, but they simply refused to pay and threatened to send the bills to a collection agency.

That's $10k in additional costs BEYOND MY MONTHLY PREMIUMS. This ate up much of my savings. My wife and I had hoped to put a down payment on a house, but now we have to save for another 2-3 years. I had to pay that stupid ambulance bill because I couldn't risk the hit to my credit.

Does anybody really think this system works?

Favorite Answer

Because America doesn't care for its own people at all, all they want is to rob the poor of all their money and then they couldn't care less if the person dies.

They only keep people alive to get their money if you have no money and aren't capable of work, you're as good as dead

• paul

a very very very very old troll repost

Lawyers. Doctors, too.

because we're subsidizing brown peoples health care.

You have a $6000 deductible on your particular policy, which means you should always have sufficient emergency funds/savings to pay that deductible & copays, in addition to sufficient emergency funds/savings to cover deductible amount on your car insurance, homeowner's/renter's insurance, and a few months of emergency funds in case you lose your job or some other financial disaster. You knew your health insurance had a $6000 deductible, so that is up to you.

Kids have sudden emergencies! Appendicitis is deadly if it ruptures & peritonitis sets in. You're lucky your child is alive & well.

Check out alternative insurers to see if you can get a better deal. But be sure to have sufficient savings for the next emergency, whatever crops up whenever. Emergencies happen! Protect yourself as best you can.

There are many reasons. The biggest reason is our legal system. Where some doctors make about $100k in Europe, some doctors have to pay over $100k for liability insurance to protect against lawyers. Then our doctors are usually more educated than almost any doctors in the world. Doctors in America have four more years of education than most countries which means four less years of earnings. Doctors in many countries are government employees and the care the people get shows it. Many people in other countries die while waiting for critical treatment.

Because the government legally forced every medical company to have countless regulations and standards, all of which are costly.

As a result, medicine's price gets inflated and becomes defined by giant monopolies because small businesses cannot afford all of the regulations. It's typical corporate garbage. Corporations that own monopolies lobby for more regulations to kill their competition, since they know that only they can afford it.

If big government were to stay out of it, you would find that medicine is not very expensive to produce, and we could all be paying way less. Basically, healthcare is expensive because the government keeps interfering with the free market, (aka capitalism, which is in favor of lower prices and competing businesses, not monopolies.) The government applies unnecessary standards that could be done better for free by charities. Instead, we have the FDA and many other garbage standards that waste too much money and don't keep us safe.

• Jeff S

Nope thank Republicans who want to keep our medical care as a private industry!

here's a hint: notice how many of the expenses you list are related to insurance coverage...

now consider the level of control your insurance has in your healthcare choices vs. you and your doctors...

now consider the role of Big Insurance companies, the lawyers who keep costs high via layers upon layers of litigation and the politicians to whom they donate heavily....

• Sally

Because we allow private companies to make a profit off people's health.