Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 months ago

Explanation on this bubble nucleation?

I was looking at other posts from here and several other similar places around this topic and I ran into this one https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/83837/... the second answer to the question is what interest me, in paragraphs 2a and 2c he talks about bubble nucleation and mentions critical and sub critical bubbles and that if we do live in a false vacuum the fate of the universe depends on the bubble nucleation. He says that if the nucleation rate is high enough or even low enough that every location in the universe will eventually transition to true vacuum. Can you read what he says in the paragraphs and give me a simpler explanation of what he means exactly? When you do read it tell me what do you think are the chances of what he’s saying about “our universe transitioning to true vacuum because of the bubble nucleation rate” actually happening since I don’t know much about bubble nucleation. Also I hope you also read the question that’s at the top and tell me what is the probability of that as well? Let me know your thoughts on this

Favorite Answer

If our space is a false vacuum, it will decay to its ground state eventually. This is certain. So it is not a probability you want, but a half life. You must ask how long it will be until the probability that it has decayed is 1/2. Every theory gives a different answer to that. Most say it should decay in nanoseconds. Since it hasn't in 14 billion years, it is likely in its ground state.

• Brandon6 months agoReport

So what that man sayid about bubble nucleation isn’t really anything anybody should worry about? It has the same chances of vacuum decay or am I wrong ?

Note the word "possible". In otherwords the author was looking to write a scary story to make you stay clicking on the site, and chose something with an almost zero (yet technically "possible") way to do so.

It is also "possible" the Earth is flat, and the moon landings were false. Get the drift?

• Brandon6 months agoReport

Nice answer but I was wondering did you happen to read the link I posted?

• Paula

The chances of it happening ??

Probably close to zero.

There are many "theories" for the ultimate fate of the universe.

Generally, we do not have enough evidence to say which theory may be correct.

And that certainly does apply to the bubble vacuum idea.

• Brandon6 months agoReport

Out of curiosity did you happen to read the link I posted?