Can the executor of a will be challenged?

My mom wants me to be the executor of her estate and a friend of hers told me that he would be challenging me as he believes an outsider with no interest in the estate would be best. My mom is having me help her write her will and her friend told me the fact that it was not written on a lawyers letter head makes... show more My mom wants me to be the executor of her estate and a friend of hers told me that he would be challenging me as he believes an outsider with no interest in the estate would be best. My mom is having me help her write her will and her friend told me the fact that it was not written on a lawyers letter head makes it somehow less valid? She has designated everything to go to me but we run into the situation where the house and car have very little value, so their sale likely won't cover everything she owes to Medicaid. My dad was on Medicaid when he was in the nursing home until he passed away in 2008. My mom has been Medicaid eligible since.

I have decided to stay with my mom as we are afraid to leave her alone and nobody checks on her. She has no living siblings or any other living children. No grand children. My mom's friend is afraid if I get booted out, I have no place to go and I might end up living in some rat hole motel. He told me as executor, I might be the one who's forced to sell the house I'm living in and put myself in the street. I had a lawyer tell me I would either have to live with my mom for 2 years and have a doctor sign that it was necessary for me to live with her, have a disability, claim an undo hardship, or make the house so complicated for Medicaid to claim that they wouldn't bother.

Since Medicaid won't see putting a 55-year-old able bodied guy in the street to be an undue hardship, as executor, I will have to evict myself.