Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

Making baked potatoes? I know that Russet or Idaho potatoes are best for making Baked potatoes. But can I use waxy potatoes and have them?

still come out creamy and soft? How?

• denise

I just use any potatoes, as long as their big ones, their all pretty much the same when toppings & fixin's are added.

• IvaB

Russets are best for baking,waxy potatoes for roasting.A waxy potato will never have the same tenderness as a Russet will imo.

I have NEVER EVER used anything but reds till I moved to a state where they are much more expensive than white potatoes.

AND I spend the money because I love the flavor of them over any white potato.

the whole notion of special potatoes for certain usage is modern and forgets that people often grew 1 kind and used it for everything.

You can bake any kind of potatoe, finished product depends on type of potato. Starchy potatoes are the classic for baked but I will do waxy as well. If I’m doing classic baked potatoes though, I’ll always do the starchy.

• Janet

Russet/Idaho potatoes, when baked, do not come out creamy and soft.

They come out dry and fluffy.

The waxy potatoes will give you a far-different texture from the Russet potatoes. So if you like the texture of Russet potatoes, you will be disappointed if you bake waxy potatoes.

A waxy potato will be creamy and soft but not fluffy and dry like a baker potato would.

I happen to love waxy potatoes boiled just until they begin to get tender, drain then gently smash them and brown them in a fry pan with a bit of olive oil. You get the best ..creamy soft and a bit of crispy.

I find that all potatoes are acceptable when baked. Some have different textures to others thats all.

Waxy potatoes will be quite creamy in texture and, if baked for sufficient time, will of course still be soft. What they won't be is fluffy.

• Mark

They'll be creamy, but not very soft.