Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

Making baked potatoes? I know that Russet or Idaho potatoes are best for making Baked potatoes. But can I use waxy potatoes and have them?

still come out creamy and soft? How?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I just use any potatoes, as long as their big ones, their all pretty much the same when toppings & fixin's are added.

• Login to reply the answers
  • IvaB
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

Russets are best for baking,waxy potatoes for roasting.A waxy potato will never have the same tenderness as a Russet will imo.

• 8 months ago

I have NEVER EVER used anything but reds till I moved to a state where they are much more expensive than white potatoes.

AND I spend the money because I love the flavor of them over any white potato.

the whole notion of special potatoes for certain usage is modern and forgets that people often grew 1 kind and used it for everything.

• 8 months ago

You can bake any kind of potatoe, finished product depends on type of potato. Starchy potatoes are the classic for baked but I will do waxy as well. If I’m doing classic baked potatoes though, I’ll always do the starchy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Russet/Idaho potatoes, when baked, do not come out creamy and soft.

They come out dry and fluffy.

The waxy potatoes will give you a far-different texture from the Russet potatoes. So if you like the texture of Russet potatoes, you will be disappointed if you bake waxy potatoes.

• 8 months ago

A waxy potato will be creamy and soft but not fluffy and dry like a baker potato would.

I happen to love waxy potatoes boiled just until they begin to get tender, drain then gently smash them and brown them in a fry pan with a bit of olive oil. You get the best ..creamy soft and a bit of crispy.

• 8 months ago

I find that all potatoes are acceptable when baked. Some have different textures to others thats all.

• 8 months ago

Waxy potatoes will be quite creamy in texture and, if baked for sufficient time, will of course still be soft. What they won't be is fluffy.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

They'll be creamy, but not very soft.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.