? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Is a Bavette steak popular in US, what is the best way to cut it?

Favorite Answer

soak them in a marinade and then grill them quickly over searing high heat.

Bavette Steak Marinade

1 cup soy sauce

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 tablespoon brown sugar

Let the steak marinate for 1-4 hours.

These steaks are usually pretty thin so I like to grill them directly over the charcoal using direct high heat. If you are using a gas grill just turn all of your burners up to high.The brown sugar in the marinade helps these steaks take on a beautiful surface char.

I flip the steak every minute and grill until it reaches an internal temperature of 130F. This steak took about seven minutes.

Make sure you slice the steak against the grain and you will have an incredibly tender flavor explosion.I sliced up a pound and a half of flap steak (again, across the grain!) and did a stir fry with some broccoli, mushrooms, onions and peppers.

Sliced Flap for Stir Fry

I took the steak well past Medium Rare during the stir fry but it didn’t get tough. If anything the slices got even more tender and fall apart delicious.

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

You can make a fine stir fry with sirloin or flank but you will make an AMAZING stir fry using bavette.

• It's not very popular at all. I think it is usually called Flap steak (at least when sold as meat - I've certainly seen the term Bavette in restaurants). I love all those steaks (like skirt and flank) that take some chewing and have amazing flavor. I'm not a fan of steaks like filet mignon that are the complete opposite. Its popularity is definitely on the rise, but it's way down in the lesser known category.

For serving the cooked steak - you cut slices across it which will be against the grain.