Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

How do you fire someone who makes too many sick days off work?

• Anna

First make sure whether they have a legitimate reason or not. If they don't, then request a doctors note if they take a sick day. Give a verbal warning, then a couple of written warnings and then sack them. I've been in my job nearly a year and will only have to take ONE sick day a week Tuesday, to have a minor operation. Until then I have taken no sick days, only days off have been annual leave.

• xyzzy

I usually say something like " I'm sorry but I need someone who I can count on to show up for work, so I have to let you go."

set policy before hiring,enforce policy via progressive discipline,,the point system,set up a reasonable accrual of sick time,EG,3 hrs earned every 2 months of perfect attendance,,something like that,demand a doctors note

You say, "I'm letting you go."

By calling them into your office and telling them they are fired. Assuming they do not qualify for FMLA.

You have a written attendance policy that the employee signed during their orientation? And the employee has violated said policy? And this person's employment is "at will" /not subject to a collective bargaining agreement or other employment contract? If yes, then you just fire them.

"The purpose of this meeting is to inform you that your employment has been terminated. Your final paycheck will be available on June 30. At the conclusion of this meeting, please clock out, collect your personal belongings and exit the premises. Thank you for your service."

The less you say, the less there is for them to sue you over.

I would first determine if there is a legitimate reason for taking sick days.

If it is illegitimate I would first issue a warning to the employee. If their behavior does not change, then you say "Sorry, we've given you an opportunity to correct your behavior but you haven't done so. We'll have to let you go."

Your question has a lot of different answers to it as it is just not a simple "your fired" question

If the person has been with the company a short time and is not off probation-Your Fired is the way you do it, no explanation is even needed. (with the work at will policy no reason is needed anyway, but a person not off probation it is easy to get rid of because of attendance

If the person is on FMLA you can't terminate until the FMLA is used up-Then it is up to the company on how to handle it

If the person is in the union, then the company has to go through the contract procedures which takes time because unions are known to protect lazy, absent and worthless workers (Which one is you-you are asking because your job is on the line-no other reason to ask if it didn't effect you-otherwise you would not care), and if you were the employer you would not be here asking, you have HR and employment lawyers you would be asking this to

Not in the union, then the company to prevent worthless and lazy workers from suing, has to go through verbal's and written warnings and then suspensions . Because once a worker is fired all of a sudden the job is the most important thing they have

That is it pretty much in a nut shell

To be honest there is no right way, but I would suggest telling them that you are sorry, but you need someone that will work just as hard and as much as everyone else. 👍

Simple

Verbal warning

2 written warnings

SACK THEIR LAZY BACKSIDE

Completely legit

Why are they taking sick? If it is mental health, GO VERY VERY VERY CARFUL