Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 6 months ago

If a vehicle is registered only on one person s name, does that person s spouse also have a right to use the vehicle?

So say if I had a vehicle registered under my name, can my spouse still use the vehicle without my permission?

yes but you need to make sure the spouse is covered by insurance too

99% of the answers you got are totally wrong. The spouse does not have any right to use a vehicle they don't own. Neither does anybody else who doesn't have the owner's permission.

We have two vehicles in our house, both legally owned and insured in my wife's name because it was easier that way. I don't have to actually ask my wife for permission every time I drive her vehicles, because we have a very normal marriage and I'm just allowed to drive any time. She even refers to one of the vehicles as "my" car, even though she's the legal owner.

But if my wife were to say (for any reason at all) that I'm not allowed to drive her vehicles, I'm not allowed to drive them. And if I do drive without her consent, I'm guilty of stealing that vehicle. The cold hard written law says driving a vehicle without the owner's consent is theft, and it doesn't matter who the owner is to the driver. It makes no difference whether the owner is a spouse, a family member, a friend or a total stranger.

• May

"registered" is simply another name for "license plates"

Your spouse doesn't need your permission to drive "their" own car. Anyone can use the vehicle with the owners (the name listed as owner on the cars title) permission

What? Yes, a spouse has the "right" to use a vehicle that is registered in the other spouse's name.

"A right?"

• ron h

That universal spouse's right in the next life. Not this one.

Vehicle registration has nothing to do with who can and can't drive it.

The spouse would need to be on the insurance policy though.

Depends on how it was paid for. It may well be considered a marital asset in your state and your spouse has equal rights to it.

• g

Without your permission? No, of course not.

If your spouse is not a named title holder of the vehicle you would have to grant them permission for use.

Yes. But both the owner and the spouse have to be listed on the required insurance policy.

• ron h

or, maybe not. an ins policy CAN say "no other drivers"

• Ron

Your permission? Your spouse isn't your kid.

• ron h

In a good world your spouse always has permission. That world is right after this one.

If they are listed on the insurance.