Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 6 months ago

If a vehicle is registered only on one person s name, does that person s spouse also have a right to use the vehicle?

Update:

So say if I had a vehicle registered under my name, can my spouse still use the vehicle without my permission?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

yes but you need to make sure the spouse is covered by insurance too

• 6 months ago

99% of the answers you got are totally wrong. The spouse does not have any right to use a vehicle they don't own. Neither does anybody else who doesn't have the owner's permission.

We have two vehicles in our house, both legally owned and insured in my wife's name because it was easier that way. I don't have to actually ask my wife for permission every time I drive her vehicles, because we have a very normal marriage and I'm just allowed to drive any time. She even refers to one of the vehicles as "my" car, even though she's the legal owner.

But if my wife were to say (for any reason at all) that I'm not allowed to drive her vehicles, I'm not allowed to drive them. And if I do drive without her consent, I'm guilty of stealing that vehicle. The cold hard written law says driving a vehicle without the owner's consent is theft, and it doesn't matter who the owner is to the driver. It makes no difference whether the owner is a spouse, a family member, a friend or a total stranger.

• May
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

"registered" is simply another name for "license plates"

Your spouse doesn't need your permission to drive "their" own car. Anyone can use the vehicle with the owners (the name listed as owner on the cars title) permission

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

What? Yes, a spouse has the "right" to use a vehicle that is registered in the other spouse's name.

"A right?"

• ron h
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

That universal spouse's right in the next life. Not this one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Vehicle registration has nothing to do with who can and can't drive it.

The spouse would need to be on the insurance policy though.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Depends on how it was paid for. It may well be considered a marital asset in your state and your spouse has equal rights to it.

• g
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Without your permission? No, of course not.

If your spouse is not a named title holder of the vehicle you would have to grant them permission for use.

• 6 months ago

Yes. But both the owner and the spouse have to be listed on the required insurance policy.

• ron h
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

or, maybe not. an ins policy CAN say "no other drivers"

• Ron
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Your permission? Your spouse isn't your kid.

• ron h
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

In a good world your spouse always has permission. That world is right after this one.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

If they are listed on the insurance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.