SW-6

What perishable item are you just about done with buying anymore and why?

CUCUMBERS for me. I rarely remember to get to them before they turn into a runny pussy furry molded mess.

• K M
    Favorite Answer

It seems like I struggle with avocados. They're either too hard when I buy them, and I forget about them while they ripen in the fridge, or they're so soft when I buy them, that when I put them on a sandwich, it's kind of gross.

I’m getting sick of buying bread. I only get one kind, the Trader Joe’s Paine Paulin, a whole wheat country style unsliced half a large square loaf.

I don’t eat much bread anyway, so I keep it in the fridge and it lasts at least two weeks, sometimes longer, but lately I just haven’t been eating bread at all and have had maybe one piece from the last couple of loaves. I’m usually tossing at least half anyway, but lately it’s been practically the whole thing.

Like you, I seldom buy cucumber, although many shops sell half cucumbers for those who don't need a whole one at a time. Others I seldom buy for the same reason include courgettes, fresh herbs and fresh milk. During the summer months, I seldom get chantanay carrots which i like to eat raw, as in summer, even if refrigerated, tend to go 'soft centre' and be quite unpalatable, so I will be unlikely to get these again until October, and will buy fresh bunched carrots instead.

Avocados. I am so sick of being able to use only half the avocado because they have started to turn bad the day I buy them.

• I've never really had problems with avocados (I'm fine eating them when they are darkening), but I found a great solution anyhow - buy tiny avocados. Trader Joe's often sells them and one is a generous amount for one person on a sandwich or salad.

Fresh herbs. Don't ask me to explain the science but thin things tend to rot quickly. Frisse, a "frizzy" green is my mortal enemy because it turns to rotted mush in a single day when it was perfect the day before. Herbs do the same. Fresh vs dried herbs will change your life and I believe is in the top 5 reasons why restaurant food taste better than homemade (for most people). But outside of well thought out food chain systems where someone's whole life is to figure this out with 125 livelihoods on the line, you buy some basil to make some pasta at home and it's black mush in 3 days.

In that chain, you use dried basil and never make any money to begin with. "I can make this at home." Yes, you can.

• Louis

Hmm. I seem to go back and forth on these. sometimes I quit but then i miss them and get some again. Never had a problem with cucumbers but I buy them one at a time and I like them in all kinds of things like bagel sandwiches and salads.

If I run out of bagels the first thing to spoil is cream cheese. I buy nondairy cream cheese and I think it depends on the brand but i can't remember now which one lasts longest.

Also before I decide on dinner I take a look in the frig and see if anything is getting old.

nope. I eat what ever I buy and always have a plan for it which I implement asap.

I hate wasting food and have been in a position where I have had none so no, wasting food for me is not an option