Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 6 months ago

Can you choose to have a c section birth ? And does it hurt?

If you don t want to birth a child through your vagina can you ask for a c section and does a c section hurt? Can you feel it when they actually do it ? Are there any risks of having a c section done?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • MissA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

In theory you can have a maternal request c-section. In fact they can be difficult to access... doctors are under pressure to keep c-section rates low, and insurers would much prefer to cover the cheaper vaginal birth unless they absolutely have a medical reason for it. You can certainly ask your doctor about it if/when you become pregnant. In the US your odds of a c-section (maternal-request or otherwise) are incredibly dependent upon where you live and how well off you are.

A planned c-section does not hurt at the time it's performed. An emergency c-section may be painful in the unusual case that the anaesthesia isn't successful. Both will be painful after the anaesthetic wears off.

A c-section is generally slightly safer for the baby (because they avoid the risks of peripartum injury) and slightly more dangerous for you.

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Much depends on general medical habits where you are. there is no world-wide universal answer. If you are in the USA, money might come into the equation.

• 6 months ago

Can you ask? Yes you can, but most doctors with ethics won't allow you to have one because a c section is a surgery and any surgical procedure has risks.

Does a c section hurt? There's some anesthesia but you are able to feel how they open you. What it hurts it's the recovery. It takes til 6 months for it to fully heal.

Are there risks? Yes, plenty.

Source(s): I'm a RD
  • 6 months ago

C-sections are done in emergency cases. Insurance won't pay for one unless the doctor says it's medically necessary. Most doctors won't do (unless needed) them since it's riskier and puts them in a malpractice situation. You don't feel it, but it hurts after & takes longer to recover.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Your OB isn't going to do a C-section, not unless one is medically necessary. You can't "choose" to have a C-section just because you think you want one.

A C-section doesn't "hurt" and it's not "painful" while the operation is taking place. You're given an epidural before the operation begins, and that will numb you from the waist down. You're awake, but you can't "feel' much of anything. The "pain" from the incision comes AFTER the epidural wears off.

Look - a C-section is a major operation. It usually involves a 4-inch, horizontal incision just above your pubic bone, with internal and external sutures. The recovery period from a vaginal delivery is almost immediate,but it can take up to 3 months to completely recover from a C-section.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

The only OB who would agree to a non-medically indicated section is one you don't want. That OB is flat out saying he/she doesn't care about patient safety, and your risks will be MUCH higher with an OB who doesn't care about safety.

A section is only safer (for both mom AND baby) when its benefits outweighs its risks.

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The surgery itself does not hurt. But the recovery is long and painful. The doctor just cut you open --- of COURSE it will hurt. I've never had a c-section but HAVE had surgery. It's not fun. And cannot imagine how hard it must be to be caring for a demanding newborn, nursing every few hours around the clock, and dealing with visitors who want to see the baby while ALSO recovering from major surgery.

And no decent doctor will agree to unnecessary major surgery just because you 'want' it. And no insurance company will pay for it. While there are certain medical issues that make a c-section the 'safer' choice -- your body is normally MADE to give birth. If you just don't want to give birth... perhaps adoption is something to consider.

• Lita
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

C Sections are major surgery. There are more risks to the child since it is major surgery. Some doctors will perform elective C sections, meaning you won't have to try to give vaginal birth first.

• Jill
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Talk this through with a REAL medical professional (not strangers on Yahoo who have dubious knowledge). A c-section is major surgery and you should be properly informed of the risks and after-care involved before you decide that a c-section is the best option.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I would hope that no obstetrician is going to allow a woman to opt to have surgery over vaginal childbirth without a medical reason.

The risks and recovery time of surgery are significantly worse than for vaginal birth, not something to assume without a valid purpose.

Is it that you fear vaginal childbirth? I had a baby over ten pounds without anesthesia, and I'm not some tough cookie. Healthy baby, rapid recovery, no scar, no issue with future births.

• 6 months agoReport

I didn't say it was relevant. I just stated that it's a fear because I basically don't have a gaped vagina so a 10 pound baby isn't easy for us who don't have a cave as a vagina.

• LizB
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You shouldn't feel it because they numb you. But yes, there are risks since it IS major surgery, and you should be aware that recovery from a c-section is much worse. Most women who have vaginal deliveries are up an out of bed within an hour or two, and within weeks feel pretty normal. After a c-section they make you wait about 24 hours just to stand (you get a lovely catheter bag until then), and it takes AT LEAST six weeks to recover enough to feel fairly normal. But really more like 12 weeks.

C-sections can also make breastfeeding and babywearing more challenging. Not impossible, but as I pointed out, moms who have vaginal deliveries are usually going about their normal everyday lives within a few weeks, while c-section moms are hampered for 6 weeks or more. I've had two c-sections myself, and I *vastly* would have preferred a normal vaginal delivery. Medical circumstances resulted in surgery instead.

• LizB
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Microperforate hymen can be addressed with surgery, you know. It's not even that big a deal, it's a minor procedure. C-section deliveries ARE a big deal, and it is MAJOR surgery. They are not fun, trust me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.