Why do american comics have better art and japanese comics have better stories?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Art is pretty sketchy word because no two person sees the same thing in a painting but I ll say that what you have asked is not realistic at all(at least not entirely). Manga even with no color as an penciled art is heads and shoulders above colored comics. I mean the most of backgrounds in Western Comics are all computer generated and like mentioned comics are made by a team of drawer, inker and an story writer (mostly) where as Manga is all hand drawn and mostly a one man circus(yes they use assistants but all they do is draw lines and BGs and SFXs), even the most realistic backgrounds are nothing but traced image.

Storywise I have seen some great comics but I can see why some think that Manga is better when it comes to story, I mean comics storylines comes to an end within 10 chapters or issues whereas Mangas sometimes runs forever (I am looking at Hajime no Ippo and One Piece for ref.). When you look closely at Manga you will notice that not much have happened in one chapter where as Comics sets narrative for what's coming next and concludes with in a standard time frame.

In my opinion both are great form of entertainment so I will leave at it.

• 6 months ago

i reject your premise.

• Rebel With A Cause
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I actually agree. Which is why I only specified DC and Marvel comics, as the independent comics are usually better.

• 6 months ago

For most American comics, there is usually an art team consisting of at least 2 or 3: penciller, inker, and colorist. This is because the comics have to release in a monthly or bimonthly schedule.

I can't say accurately about Japanese manga, but I would guess that mangaka have more artistic control over their stories, while the stories from DC/Marvel have to deal with multiple editors and writers.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Your changing I can't stand it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.