Shaine
Shaine asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

Why do people act rude when you ask them a technical question that they find "easy"?

I'm interested to hear some intelligent answers because this is something I've only observed in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) world. I have noticed that people who are in the Engineering or Trade fields are really rude to students/apprentices who are trying to learn new information. It's almost as if they forget what it's like to be a beginner.

This information can be taught and learned. It does NOT have to be innate. We've even had teachers at the college level who were rude to us when trying to understand complicated, brand new information!

Perhaps they're insecure people in those fields?

Or they just get frustrated from hearing the same questions over and over again? Either way it's disgusting behaviour!

Ioerr gives you a plausible answer. I'll add that these people may simply have a hard time explaining things, because they lack language skills - all math, no English on the SATs. I say that because of my experience with math teachers in middle and high school. It wasn't until I got to college that somebody explained what the quadratic equation is for, using an example from business. This is as obvious as using apples to demonstrate 1st grade arithmetic, but those math teachers didn't get it. For the first time in my life, I aced a math course. The college instructor had experience in business, making a living by communicating with businessmen and getting along with people.

They are ignorant and stubborn.

It would take them a short time to be nice.

• Chanel

Could be that these insecure people deep down are worried that you may take their job and they are rude to shatter your self confidence.

• Shaine

True. That's what my dad always says!

• ioerr

when you've already put a lot of time and effort into getting to whatever level of expertise you've achieved, at some point there's a tendency to have contempt for beginners who want to put claims on your time with questions like that, time you could better use to practice and advance your own work.

a lot of beginners are basically dilettantes after all, and will wash out in time, and it's waste of effort to try and "help" them with something they're unlikely to put real effort into, which is what's required.

and yeah sure depending on the individual they might not be the most secure personality in the world too.

not to excuse this kind of behavior, but that's the kind of temptation a lot of such snobs give in to.

• Shaine

Thank you for the well thought out answer! I think in regards to the rookies it's a self fulfilling prophecy created by the tradesman/instructor. I have always been eager to learn a new task but often my excitement has been destroyed by mean bosses/teachers.