Do all wedding dresses need alterations?

• keerok

All? Of course not.

When time came, there was no question at all. My wife went couture. That ensured the dress would fit her perfectly. She had to make sure she didn't gain weight during the months leading to the wedding day. Worse, from where we were, fitting the wedding gown was taboo. My respect goes to the designer, the seamstress and everyone who worked on that dress! Of course to my wife too who looked better than ever in that dress.

I have worked in a bridal salon as a seamstress and have also independently altered dozens of wedding gowns over my sewing career. It is rare when a bride tries on a dress and it fits her perfectly, but I have seen it happen.

Wedding gowns ordered off the rack are not made to order, the size that will fit you is determined and ordered. From there, the dress will typically need alterations. Bridal alterations at a salon are very expensive, so if one knows a qualified seamstress and wants to save money, get the dress altered elsewhere.

I hate to admit it but there was one bridal salesgirl that always ordered one size up to promote extra fees for alterations and that angered me to no end. As a matter of fact that was one of the reasons why I left that bridal salon. This is not typical, but be sure you discuss size with the bridal salon before ordering.

• edward

My wife is really slim, and the sample sizes for dresses she told me is a size 10, she’s a size 2. So unless you wanted a couture gown (that means there is only 1) then it will need to be altered

Only on chunky brides

Its hard to find one that fits perfectly so alterations are often needed

It might depend on the dress. Mine didn't, but it wasn't overly ornate or anything.

• drip

I have sewn for years and have done costuming. I have also worked in a bridal salon.

I like to see a dress fit to perfection. If any dress should fit you it should be your wedding dress.

But some women don’t care. Or don’t realize how much better it would look if fitted properly.

Most women need alterations. A gown needs to be order in a size that fits the largest part of them. Then other areas may need to be taken in. And most women need the gown shorten. Being measured for the gown does not mean they are making the dress to fit your measurements.they are just trying to determine which size would be best to order,

• Foofa

Pretty much. Even a bespoke gown made just for you would need last minute touches to fit correctly. But most people aren't inviting fashion critics to their weddings and so things don't always have to be runway perfect. Meghan Markle famously wed a Prince in a dress that could have used one more fitting.

Mine didn't.

• Kelly

The vast majority do.

That is for gowns and other dresses you would associate with a special occasion dress. However, really any dress can be used as a wedding dress ones you buy from the rack that a custom fit isn't necessary wouldn't need alterations in most cases.