What time of day will my tax refund go to my bank?

I filed my 2018 taxes on time, early in fact. I got my state but there was a problem with my federal tax refund so I waited another 3 MONTHS until I got a letter so that I could confirm my Identity. ( There should have been no reason for this) So I am already pretty upset. Finally the status says it will go into my bank today. It hasn't gone in yet. What time should I get it? If I don't get it today I will be furious

Favorite Answer

Your bank may hold it for a day or so. Mine always hits my account at midnight on the day they say I'm getting it.. (which would be last night at midnight) but if your account is new, or you've had problems (bad checks) etc some banks wait for the check to clear before making it available to you.

• John6 months agoReport

Waiting for a check to clear is only an issue when there is actually a check to clear. An electronic transaction clears immediately. The money literally transfers out of one account and into another.

• Judy

probably overnight.......

The IRS states most tax refunds are completed in 21 days but may take up to 16 weeks. If it has been 12 weeks, you are well within your time.

The IRS needed verification of your identity because of suspected fraud with the tax return. Most commonly that someone besides you was using your name / SSN to get your tax refund. Saying that there was "no need" for this is ridiculous. Would you have rather the this and had the tax return been fraudulent, your refund would have gone to someone else besides you? There would be no way to get it back....

The IRS is only able to tell you what day it's anticipated to go to your bank. This is based on the standard ACH timeline of one full business day They deposited it on Friday, Monday was one full business day, which means at most banks it will be available today. However, if your bank takes longer, there is no way for the IRS to know this.

- Also if your bank has a pre-set ACH time, like midnight, that is the only time your ACH payment will appear.

The status says the refund would be sent today. You may or may not receive it today. There is no set time it will appear in any given bank account.

Being furious is a choice. It's not horribly pleasant, but if that's what you want, go for it.