Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Should I do college part time or full time?

I work about 50 hours a week. I dropped out of college 5 years ago but have decided to go back. Is it impossible to handle more than 2 classes with all the hours I'm working?

You should definitely do part-time since you have a job. Because you won't handle the workload at college if you want to become a full-time student with a job. Many students attend schools as part-timers because they have a part-time job.

• juliet

Please go to school part time. I’m sure you could go full time, but you’d burn out very fast. Having “me time” is important for people who work and go to school. You won’t have that really if you go full time with that work schedule

It's up to you. 80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk, and many work full-time in addition to a full-time course load. You've been out of school for a long time, and may have difficulty getting "back in the groove" of studying, and may have forgotten a lot over the intervening years. But it is up to you how hard you are willing to work, and how well you organize yourself, manage your time, etc.

• drip

Two classes would be about 6 credits. Which means you would be in the classroom 6 hours per week and have 12-18 hours of study time per week.

I would start out with one class and go from there,

Start by going part-time. Your goal in going back to school now is to get good grades, master the content of our courses, gain valuable skill or knowledge, and graduate. You don't want to run the risk of messing up right out of the gate. Take one or two classes. See how it goes. College students should plan for at least two hours of person study for every hour in the classroom. Since most classes have 3 hours of class time per week, you should plan for another six hours per class for reading, doing homework, writing essays, etc. If you find you don't need that much time to get an A, you can increase your course load the next semester.

it would be very difficult to do more than two classes with your workload, yes

I wouldn't say "impossible" because I'm pretty sure someone out there has done so. But it's highly unlikely for most people to do well (or even pass) if they try to take a full course load -and- work 50 hours per week.

Personally, I had a little trouble keeping up working full time and taking just one night class at the community college (although they were five-credit classes in engineering calculus, so nearly the equivalent of two three-credit classes). Not that I didn't end up with As, but I had to take a half-day vacations the afternoon before exams to study more often then not! I had a pretty flexible (but fast-paced job) as a government attorney.

You need to choose your priority. If it's work, then take classes no more than part-time (two classes a semester sounds reasonable; or approximately six credits per semester).

It's not a permanent decision. If, after a couple of semesters, you are getting the grades you want, not missing any work, and still have time to spare, then maybe add a class. If you still are getting the grades you want, not missing any work, with time to spare, then consider going full-time (remember to amend your FAFSA at this point, so you can get more financial aid).