I want to start publishing my novels. What steps should I take?

• Athena
    Favorite Answer

As with most writers, you took 16 courses in English Lit and not one in business.

That leaves you open to the sharks out there who would LOVE to get their hands on fresh meat like yourself.

It is time to take a few months and learn the BUSINESS of publishing. Grab a copy of Writer's DIgest at your local bookstore and start reading up on the world of Self Publishing. and what your legal RIGHTS and RESPONSIBILITIES are.

Good luck.

• Tina

No. No one wants ideas. There are firms though who will offer to publish anything as long as they get paid. They charge eye wateringly amounts of money and do nothing for the hapless writer.

You could publish on Createspace or KDP Publishing, thats what SK Sheridan, author of the Davina Dupree series did, then she got a publishing contract, her books went viral.

• Amber

The first step you should take it learning to do your own research and not relying on second hand info that could be incorrect. Seriously.

I'm assuming your novels are written, edited, beta read, edited and possibly sent to a professional editor so in short you've been working on them for a couple of years and everyone has agreed they can't get any better. If you haven't been through this then forget publishing for now.

If you have start by researching and learning about the Business. I did my degree in Business Studies so I had a head start but you can read books on publishing. Don't be in any rush. The more knowledge under your belt the better and it's never a bad idea to have your own lawyer who is well versed in the area. As just a secondary person to ask/pay for information from.

• Tina

What, pay for a professional editor and a lawyer! you'd have to publish an awful lot of books to make that worthwhile

Self publish the book

Google 'how to submit a book manuscript to a publisher'.