How to cope with relatives getting on your nerves?

We have regular events/family reunions with my uncles, aunts and cousins but I can't take it anymore.

- Being of a rather introverted nature, I don't enjoy any of their gossip and small talk. I would rather be reading, listening to music or going for a walk on my own.

- The uncles and aunts meddle into stuff that is none of their business.

- Worst of all are my younger cousins, who are over-indulged, ill-behaved and noisy. And no one among the grown-ups dares to punish them!

Marijuana works wonders

Firstly, you honestly sound quite self-absorbed and rude. We only get one true family, and I think you should try to feel more grateful that you’re able to spend time with yours regularly. I would love to be able to see my dear family at reunions more often. Sure, you might be an introvert, but that doesn’t mean you can just ditch your family because you don’t feel like interacting. Books and music will always be here. Appreciate your family while they’re still around.

Yes. sometimes little cousins can be very annoying, but they will outgrow that behaviour. When you’re all older, you might find that these cousins end up being your closest friends. Also, the family members you want to turn your back on now will probably be the people you need later on in your life during difficult times.

If you really can’t stand being around your own family, then just don’t go to the reunions. Make up excuses and don’t go. Simple.

• tony

“I don’t have to like you to manage you.”the only thing these feelings do is cause you added stress. And let’s face it, none of us need more stress.

Just realize that the person who’s annoying you endlessly is a product of her environment, as you are of yours.Release those feelings and move on.

Be nice to them and as they say it is best to be better and kind and that is always the better way. Expression is "Kill them with your kindness".

tell em before hand you cant stay long and then leave after the meal or don't attend so many

• Toruko

I'd cut the rope. Gravity will have its say..

just do not attend the get-togethers if you do not like being there. or go but spend a small amount of time there. like make an appearance and then leave.

By trying not to facially show it happening if I can. I'm sure they'd know based on how I sound that I was getting annoyed.

ⓂⒾⓄ³

• Kathy

By not being around them so much.