Which sentence is better?

A. A few hairs stuck out of her turban.

B. A few hairs stuck from beneath her turban.

Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

In conversational English, either sentence would convey your meaning, but for the most accuracy you should say "A few hairs stuck out from beneath her turban."

A few hairs stuck "out of" her turban is unclear. In addition to your intended meaning, it could mean that the turban had hairs (hers, or from another source) protruding through the wraps of the turban, or even sitting on the surface and a few of them standing up. When you use "beneath", you are pinpointing the exact source of the hair.

If the hair simply "stuck" from beneath her turban, it sounds awkward because "stuck" can also mean glued. "Stuck out" means it protruded, which I believe is your intended meaning.

• 6 months ago

Choose B. it sounds way better

• RP
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A is correct and better, but B is wrong because something is missing (like "out").

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Both are a bit iffy. The first one suggests they were randomly sticking out all over. In the second stuck sounds odd. Maybe better to keep it simple.

A few hairs showed beneath her turban.

• Tommymc
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I would still add "from beneath" to clarify that they are protruding. Without "from", it might suggest you have looked under the turban to see a few hairs.....(btw, the thumbs down wasn't from me)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

A. B is grammatically irregular.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.