Anonymous

Why does my boss ignore my text when I ask him for a favor but if he texts me I’m expected to respond?

Not too long ago my boss asked me to pick up a few shifts this last weekend and I did to help him out but then I asked him for a favor last night and he ignored my text. What should I do? Ignore his text next time? Because I feel like I’m being taken advantage of

Favorite Answer

He is your boss, it's not the other way round. So he would ignore you unless its something important or urgent

It is not a favor for favor. You are there for the benefit of the company bottom line not your bottom line so read informative websites, informative blogs & watch informative videos for ways to make money, save money & invest money. Here is one that seems to be good so far https://www.motivatejay.com/blog that I stumbled across on another question

Alll the best...

This is a JOB not a conversation between friends or acquaintances. If you confuse the two you'll not have much luck. People don't ask bosses for favors, especially via text. They MAY ask them in person but, again, this isn't a friendship, this is the work place. The two should not be mixed up.

First of all, get rid of this idea that working is somehow a favor to your boss. He may have asked you to cover some shifts on short notice because someone else was out sick or something, but stop pretending this was a personal favor of some kind. You worked and you got paid for the hours you worked - that's not a favor to anyone. If you hadn't worked you wouldn't get paid and the company would pay someone else to work those shifts. You work for money, not as a favor to the boss.

Saying yes to cover shifts on short notice *might* help you get a raise or promotion, or maybe just be the first person he calls when he needs someone - which means you get more hours and more money. But don't lose sight of the fact that you work those shifts for the paycheck, not out of the kindness of your heart.

Your boss certainly doesn't see it as a favor and that's why he doesn't feel like he owes you anything. The only thing he owes you is to sign off on your time card so you can get paid your wages for the work you did.

Also even if this was a favor (it wasn't) you don't do favors to get something in return. Adults don't keep score to see who's done more favors for the other person and who owes who. The sooner you learn this the better off you'll be. You can certainly reciprocate when people do favors for you, but never do a favor for someone else expecting something in return.

Also you didn't mention what favor you're asking from him and how long you waited for a response. If the favor isn't related to work then don't expect a response. If the favor is related to work then give him a day or two then follow up with a phone call or speak to him in person at your next shift.

You exist for the benefit of the company. The company does not exist for your benefit. It's that simple.

There are jobs where companies treat employees better than other companies do. It's that simple. Life isn't fair. You live with it until you find a better job. Ignoring the boss is likely to get you unemployed.

It is totally inappropriate for you to be texting your boss after-hours to ask favors.

It's his job to staff the business and if someone is absent, he's supposed to find someone to fill the spot.

YOU work for HIM, not the other way around.

You are an immature child and he is a boss. You don't have to respond. I think he would rather replace you anyway.

• Boss's don't often do favors for their employees.

I don't think you're being taken advantage of. He asked you to come in and you said you would. It's not like he's asking you to come in every weekend. You can always say no if he asks you to come in again, tell him you've all ready made plans.

• Satan

Rank Has Its Privilege

He's your boss,he thinks it's his God given right to ask for favours,but it's very rare a boss will return a favour,just a fact of life.