How does one become fluent in a language by just watching TV shows, movies, playing video games and reading if they don't understand at all?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Start with children's shows and simple cartoons. The pictures explain the words.

• 6 months ago

One doesn't, plain and simple. Reading grammar, talking and writing are fundamental aspects you'd be leaving out.

• 6 months ago

You really can't. At some point you're going to have to study grammar and vocabulary, and then you're going to have to start speaking it with people who know the language.

• 6 months ago

If you don't understand anything at all, you're only just going to pick up a few words here and there. Before immersing yourself in media in another language, I would at least learn some basic words and grammar before you start. I learn some Japanese by reading visual novels I've imported, even though I'm not really that good at it. If I hadn't known at least how to read it and a few of the basic words, I wouldn't have really learned much from them at all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Watch tv with subtitles.

• amcg
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Yes, but subtitles in the language he is learning, not his native language.

• amcg
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

He studies grammar and vocabulary with books or videos. There are also conversation classes. Then he should rather watch movies in the original audio and original subtitles (very important). Little by little he must progress in the language he is learning. Obviously he will not be 100% fluent, but his level will be pretty good. Advice : he must not stop, the study must be regular to be effective. Better is one hour a day than once a week for six hours the same day !

• TB12
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Start with a basic, beginner's level understanding and then immerse yourself in the language,,, it will start to soak in.

• 6 months ago

Dear.

My American English is partially impeccable from watching American shows, movies from the 80s til current.

I also started picking up on Hindi for awhile.

It's not that hard when you watch the same movies and listen to the same songs over and over again. You start to match up the words/phrases with the English subtitles and compare them to other movies in the same language with the same words.

I'd talk to Indians here in the states at random in my old line of work... and even they'd teach me things.

Same with friends who spoke Tagalog. They taught me a lot in conversation growing up.

Same with friends who spoke Spanish and Portuguese.

Same with a Korean friend who taught me the differences in characters for Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai. Now I can tell the difference.

If you don't learn it on your own? Surround yourself by people who speak the language you want to learn.

• 6 months ago

One goes to a language class.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.